Printers

Printer Repair Questions? Ask IT Technicians for Answers ASAP

Printers

My printer and fax do not work. I have unplugged it and

Customer Question
my printer and fax do...
my printer and fax do not work. I have unplugged it and replugged it but only hear a noise and then the HP appears. Then the board appears with the fax, copy etc but it does not work
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Printers
3/21/2016
Technician: Joel Kalman, Engineer replied 1 year ago
Joel Kalman
Joel Kalman, Engineer

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I can help you solve your problem. What is your computer operating system?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
comcast

Is your computer a pc or a mac?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
mac

Is your printer connected to your router with an Ethernet cable or to your computer with a usb cable?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no. please help me with
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
instruct me how to do it

Does your printer work to make copies, not using the computer?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I just tried it
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I hear it humming now (or some sound). Should I try to print?

That is good news. There is nothing wrong with your printer, but it is not connected to your computer or to your router. That is the reason that it will not print. Is your mac a desktop or a laptop computer?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It is a desktop......not sure what you mean by not connected to the computer or router...and, if so, what do I do?

I am asking for information, so that I can determine what is the best way to connect your printer. Is your computer located next to your printer?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the computer is next to the printer

Okay. Good. You need to get a usb printer cable. You can purchase one at any convenience store for under $10. Or you can go to Best Buy or Fry's. It may cost slightly more at an electronic store, but it may be easier to find, since you do not really know what you are looking for.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
If I get the USB printer cable, then what do I do with it?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Would you be able to fix it without the USB printer cable?

You will plug the square connector into the back of the printer and the flat end into a usb port on your computer. What model is your mac, or hos old is it?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It is pretty newan IMAC

The problem cannot be solved without a cable. How many years old is your iMac?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
a year or two at most

Okay. Good. So it has usb ports, and you can use one of them to connect your printer to your computer. After you do that, we have to install the software for your printer with the connection we made. I can show you how to do that, but first you need the cable. This question will stay open for one week, if you cannot get the cable today.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank You

If you can get it today, I will be here for several hours. I will not be online tomorrow.

John, Computer Science Engineer