Printers

Printer Repair Questions? Ask IT Technicians for Answers ASAP

Printers

My Brother MFC-J430W has almost totaly stopped printing from

Customer Question
the yellow cartridge. Cleaned...
My Brother MFC-J430W has almost totaly stopped printing from the yellow cartridge. Cleaned several time and changed cartridge, do I throw out the machine now? Thanks.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Printers
3/17/2016
Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 1 year ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

These symptoms point to either a clogged/contaminated print head, or a faulty print head (or the logic board that controls it).

You can try going into the setup/maintenance menu on the machine and running the “clean print head” function repeatedly, up to 5 times total, testing after each.

If it still doesn’t print anything, you’ll need to do a manual cleaning as a next step.

I have to caution you up front though that the manual cleaning process is messy and time consuming. It also has a low chance of success, if you see no improvement at all from the automated cleaning. It is most likely a hardware failure (bad head) which the cleaning can’t fix, as printheads are a wear item and do fail with time/use.

Realistically, it’s probably time for a new printer. As this is a 2011 model printer, it is well past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising. While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $150; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

That said, it doesn’t hurt to try, if you wish. Let me know how the built in cleaning function works, and I’ll guide you through the manual steps next, or I can recommend replacement options if you prefer.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

Ok, I wrote off my old printer and happily went out and bought a new Brother MFC-J470DW......which of course has no interest in functioning at all!!! So I now have zero printers to run my business! I just wish something could be made that works first time. I even get the double beep sound whin it's plugged in/out....but it can't see the PC even with the cable. What next please?

Are you using the usb connection? You need to go onto each computer and fully uninstall/delete the old printer, then connect the new one, and from that point you can use the disc that came with it to install the new printer.

If you want to return the brother, I can recommend some alternate models for you also.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

Too late for that, shops are closed and my business is down....I'll uninstall the old printer.

Okay, let me know if you get stuck.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

Well that was just one bib repeat. Tells me to plug in, which I do, hear the doubl beep and the next button remains greyed out.

What are you seeing on the printer screen? Any error messages?
Did you install the ink cartridges already?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

Cartridges in. It tells me to connect my USB cable (Done) but forgets to enable the 'continue' button.

Unplug and replug the usb, preferably to a port on back of the computer

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

Still grey

Okay unplug power to the printer for 60 seconds to reboot and start over

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

startover from where....install sw?

No just on the printer itself

If I've misunderstood you and the missing button is in the software, then reboot pc and start install over there

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

ok, will reboot PC as well.

Thanks

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

Next?

Restart the install process

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

OK, What connection type (USB, Ethernet or wireless) and custom Y or N?

If you have usb from printer to pc, then pick local printer (usb). You'd pick ethernet/lan if using ethernet from printer to your router.

no to custom install

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

So far, so good....progressing :)

Good, lets hope it continues on.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

No it wants me to now plug in the (already plugged in) cable. It was frozen with an empty progree bar for a few minutes at first, then when I plugged in the cable it progressed to the end and then it stopped at the same place. Now it's telling me to unplu and replug the USB cable...what next?

Are you installing from the cd that came with it?
If so, it may be out of date.

lets instead try downloading the latest version here: http://support.brother.com/g/b/downloadtop.aspx?c=us&lang=en&prod=mfcj470dw_us_eu_as

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

CD reader is broken

What were you using then? If not already, use the link above.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

That's what I did .....I downloaded from Brother's NZ web site.

I'm not sure what else to tell you at this point, it is either a connectivity problem or a connection problem.

Are you sure you chose the right software version?
Can you try running off ethernet (printer to router) instead?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

I'll try now

Thanks

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

It says no device could be found

Start the whole process over.

Unplug usb/ethernet.

Reboot printer and router.

Start software install on computer

Do not plug in usb to printer until computer prompts you to

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

Same :(

You want to remote in?

I'm not sure it would be much benefit at this point. I'd be happy to help you with it, but we are getting quite removed from the original question, and per the terms of the site I'd need you to please rate and close the initial question on the original printer,

and then we could continue on under a new thread about the new printer.

I can do the remote work on it for you, but I'm in the US and it is very late here now, so I need to sign off for the night, but I would be available to work on it with you tomorrow if you'd like, or another tech may be online that can do it sooner for you as well.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

Sorry, I need a printer in the morning, so I'll have to reconnect the old one and find the software too :( .....what a lousey purchase I made :(

I completely understand. I wish I would have had an opportunity to recommend a different printer for you before you went out to purchase this one.

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please rate my service; hopefully I have earned 5 Stars. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1QwLxGh and ask for Nathan.

Thank you, ***** ***** a good day,

--

Please note:

I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in an effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. This site works on the honor system, and to that end, I have prioritized working with you ahead of other paying customers.

Although you’ve already paid your fee to the site, I am only compensated for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work. I apologize this is not the outcome you had hoped for, though this is really beyond either of our control. I do hope you’ll consider leaving a 5 star rating for me, rather than “shoot the messenger”, so that I may get credit for my time spent in good faith to answer your question accurately. Rating 1 or 2, or not rating at all, does not produce a refund, it only penalizes me for trying to help.

Did you need more help with this, Ken?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

I think so. I went to another store after taking this back and bought a different Brother model - MFC- J480DW. Before installing it the first store called me back to say there was nothing wrong with the first one and I would need to re-buy it! Anyway, I at least had one other new one which was going to work....or so I thought. I select the write device, then it either tells me it's a different device number or just a fax...despite rebooting everything, clearing all the software and redownloading. So I now have 2 printers, 1 old/faulty but works, 1 new which doesn't work and 1 which I need to buy back, which I couldn't get to work! Any chance you could remote in now please...before I go broke. Frown Thanks........Are you still there? Ok, I'll be back in 30 mins, hope you can help me. Back now???? Never mind

Sorry I missed you last night, I'm in the US on a much different time zone.

I'd be happy to help with this remotely, if you'd like. You want to install the new model, I assume?

Nathan, Engineer