Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

Why are there only Avery labels available to print on when…

Customer Question
Why are there only Avery...
Why are there only Avery labels available to print on when choosing to print from a Zebra LTP 2844 printer?
I recently got a new computer and now I cannot print my inventory tags using the Zebra LTP 2844 printer. When I go to the print designer and choose the template I designed, it will print correctly using the Zebra printer but when I go to workstation preferences and choose the Zebra printer to print inventory tags, the only options to print on are Avery labels. It does not give me any other choices.
I am using Intuit QuickBooks POS.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Printers
3/11/2016
Technician: Russell H., Printer and Office Tech replied 2 years ago
Russell H., Printer and Office Tech

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

It is quite possible that

A. the new computer is of a more advanced or at least a different operating system version that the previous computer.

B. it is quite probable that the proper Zebra LTP 2844 driver, for that new or different operating system, was not installed properly on the new computer.

- which could lead to there being limited choices for options.

Tell me more about the computer, and I will instruct you further.

For three years this had been working and then a major storm caused an outage in which afterwards, the labels no longer appear when the preferred Zebra printer is selected, only Avery labels are shown. Intuit had no idea what to do and after three hours stated what I already new at the beginning, it's a remoted printer, not local.

Was the Zebra LTP 2844 printer's drivers installed, for networked usage, on the computer that prints to the Zebra printer model aforementioned?

Do you have more than one computer hooked up to the Zebra printer?

Do *all* the computers that are, or can be, hooked up to the Zebra printer, have similar limitations in how the labels, or Avery labels, or other stock, can be selected?

If so, the problem, if it happens simultaneously to all computers' way of printing, would indicate the printer itself is damaged, or has had its choice of stock limited by either being 'broken', or perhaps by being reset to a basic set of choices. Make sure the printer is not set, itself, on 'nothing but label stock' somehow or anyhow.

Scratch that. The printer is hard-wired connected to the desktop computer via USB. I am getting "Port being used by another printer." in addition to "This printer does not support directional communication". The computer is definitley seeing the printer though.

How can you tell that the computer is seeing the printer, please?

Zebra comes with a software utility that shows the currently available and detected printers in which you can customize their options from the Zebra software itself.

OK. In that software utility, what port is the Zebra printer using?

And, is it set to BiDirectional communication? either in the utility, or in the driver settings? if either or both, disable it in both.

Currently bidirectional is disabled on all printers but was checked before hand. Either or both options correct the issue and I'm confirming the ports but off the top of my head something like T01, T02, T03, and T04 with one to two saying "Inactive Port" even when a printer had been assigned to it.

Don't select multiple ports (unless there is something very unusual about this printer model that I am unaware of.)

Select one port only. See what error message(s) come up in response.

Thanks for following my advice so far.