Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

My name is ***** ***** My Lexmark S405 is shpowing a message…

Customer Question
Hi my name is...

Hi my name is ***** ***** My Lexmark S405 is shpowing a message There is a problem with your print head. I have cleaned it several times but with no success can you help

Technician's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

The printer was fine until I programmed to clean the print head when the message was shown

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Printers
3/9/2016
Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 2 years ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Unfortunately this symptom indicates a hardware problem,

specifically, it is the result of a bad printhead (or the logic board that controls it).

The head is a "wear item" that fails with age/use. As this is a 2009 model printer, it is well past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising.

There is one step you can take here, to clean and reset the system, but it is very unlikely to help. 99.9% of the time, this does come down to a hardware fault. These lexmarks are widely regarded as the worst printers ever made, they were very poorly designed and built and have very high failure rates. They were so bad that lexmark nearly went bankrupt supporting all the warranty claims, and stopped making inkjets entirely shortly after this model.

While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $90, A logic board would run you $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

Depending how you'd like to proceed, I can advise on the cleaning/reset steps if you wish to try, help with finding parts, finding a local repair shop, or recommending replacement options for you. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

http://professional.justanswer.com/chat/index/a1a5620c7df345019ec17bacf3a86fbc

Do you need more help with this?