Printers

Printer Repair Questions? Ask IT Technicians for Answers ASAP

Printers

I have an MFC-L8850CDW. It showed out of toner, but when I

Customer Question
I have an MFC-L8850CDW....
I have an MFC-L8850CDW. It showed out of toner for cyan, but when I removed the cartridge it still had a significant amount of toner. I installed a new cartridge and still got the empty message. After several tries, I tried yet another new cartridge. Same result. Any ideas?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Printers
3/4/2016
Technician: Dustin, Printer Repair Specialist replied 1 year ago
Dustin, Printer Repair Specialist
Experience: A deep understanding and technical prowess in the finer points of printing and printer repair. Also worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you.

All the toner you replaced , was it all generic toner from the same place? Or, was this genuine Brother toner, new ?

If they werent, then keep in mind you may have to order genuine brother toner if the next steps do not work.

Lets try to access the toner reset menu as follows.

http://occopytech.com/images/Brother%20Color%20MFC%20Toner%20Reset%20Instructions.pdf

Once you have reset the toner levels for cyan, try either of the new tanks. It should be working and being read correctly now.

If not, genuine brother toner is in order, which you can get at a discount here.

http://amzn.to/1L7A0xN

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a rating of excellent ( 5 stars ) selected and submitted below this answer or at the top right of the screen. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I cannot find a clear/back button.

The x , should be the back clear button...

Heres another solution you can try, but you definitely want to reset the toner level at some point

• Press (Cancel) to interrupt the error displayed on the machine's display.
  • Press (Settings).
  • Press All Settings.
  • Press the Up or Down arrow to display Machine Info.. Press Machine Info..
  • Press the Up or Down arrow to display Reset Menu. Press Reset Menu.
  • Press the Up or Down arrow to display Drum.Press Drum.
  • Read the message and press Yes.
  • Press (Home).
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
There is no reset option under Machine Info.

Hi, Ive seen your request for a secure remote connection. Normally, I would accept that request and connect and repair the issue for you.

Unfortunately, this is one of those situations where there is nothing I can do via the pc in order to clear that error on the printer.

You may have to use the touchscreen and try to get to the door open window.

When you open the ink replacement door, there should be a door open icon at the top left of the screen.. If you touch that, you should be able to get to the reset menu.. Does that work?

Technician: Michael Hannigan, Technician replied 1 year ago
Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Technician

It looks like you still have an outstanding remote support request. If so, you can use this link to access it.

http://www.justanswer.com/remotedesktop/join.aspx?Session=3c220872-d587-4937-9ded-0448a1b1b692

If/when you do, please reply here so I know that you have connected to the session.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The prior technician gave advice applying to a different model and was on no help whatsoever. He also said a printer problem such as this could not be addressed remotely. At this point, I feel I was ripped off. I regret having used this "service".
Technician: Robert M., Consultant replied 1 year ago
Robert M., Consultant

please don't take offense. I deal with a lot of customers with varying level of skill. But before we go further i have to just ask. The cyan is the blue cartridge. is that the one you have replaced.

Brother MFC-L8850CDW Toner Reset Instructions

This method may be necessary after replacing the toner in your printer.

1. Power down the machine.
  2. Unplug all Network and USB cables from the back of the machine.
  3. Power on the machine.
  4. Ensure that there are no “Print Jobs” in the queue.
  5. Navigate to the “Toner Reset Menu”.
  6. Using up, down, or scroll arrow buttons, scroll through the reset options for the four toner cartridges.
    1. B (or K): Black
    2. C: Cyan
    3. M: Magenta
    4. Y: Yellow
  7. For each cartridge, you figure out whether it is low yield (S/STD) or high yield (H/HC).
  8. Using the number pad, select option #1 to reset the cartridge depending on the size that is installed.
  9. Return to the main menu by pressing clear or back.
  10. Plug all Network and USB cables back into the machine.

you may need to open the cover and quickly press the 1 on the keypad to get to the toner reset menu. You have to do it quickly right after you open the cover or it will take the 1 as an option to fax

Robert M., Consultant