Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

I have a brother mfc-8440, about a month ago I could not…

Customer Question
I have a brother mfc-8440...
I have a brother mfc-8440, about a month ago I could not send a fax. up to that point it was working fine. I called the phone co and they came out with there fax machine and it sent and received fine, so I took my fax to a local repair store and they said my fax was working fine. I saw the test sheets from both, my fax still will not work, I tried a different phone cord and a different wall plug. I get the Message "NG: poor line condition:. Any ideal, Frank
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Printers
3/2/2016
Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 2 years ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble, Frank.

Can you tell me a bit more about the problem please:

1) Is this a dedicated fax line, or a shared voice/fax line?
2) Is this a landline from the local phone/cable company, or a VOIP service (vonage/magicjack/etc)
3) Do you have dsl service on the same line?
4) Are you able to successfully RECEIVE a fax?

1 shared
2 local
3 no
4 I have not tried

Can you please try to receive a fax, have someone send you a test fax.

This is a necessary step to properly isolate the cause of the problem.

Also, who is your phone company/provider?

they tried twice , no fax
Farmers Telecom Coop

You mean they tried sending to you?

I did received 2 test faxes

Okay and that worked with no error, correct?

If so, that means that the issue is your machine not being able to get a good quality connection, and you need to make some adjustments to your outgoing fax settings. However there could also be an underlying hardware problem here (bad/failing fax modem) which wouldn't be surprising to see based on the age.

Try this: On the brother press Menu 229, set it to ON, then Set, then try to send a fax.

Tried, did not send. got error 20 01

What error were you getting previously?

I did not see it
I did received the two faxs fine, no error massage

Thank you for confirming.

Please attempt the above steps again, making absolutely sure that the on screen selection shows ON, prior to pressing set, then immediately after key in the phone number and press send.

What type of internet connection do you have?

Do you still need help with this?

John, Computer Science Engineer