Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

I just purchased a blank and yellow cartridge and the pages…

Customer Question
hey robert, i just purchased...
hey robert, i just purchased a blank and yellow cartridge and the pages print but they are blank. I have a question what if what you tell me doesn't work and my printer is still printing blank pages do I get all my money back
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Printers
3/1/2016
Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 2 years ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

These symptoms point to either a clogged/contaminated print head, or a faulty print head (or the logic board that controls it).

You can try going into the setup/maintenance menu on the machine and running the “clean print head” function repeatedly, up to 5 times total, testing after each.

If it still doesn’t print anything, you’ll need to do a manual cleaning as a next step.

I have to caution you up front though that the manual cleaning process is messy and time consuming. It also has a low chance of success, if you see no improvement at all from the automated cleaning. It is most likely a hardware failure (bad head) which the cleaning can’t fix, as printheads are a wear item and do fail with time/use.

Realistically, it’s probably time for a new printer. As this is a 2009 model printer, it is well past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising.

At this point the printer is well over double its designed maximum service life, and has greatly exceeded any value that could be reasonably expected of it.

While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $150; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

That said, it doesn’t hurt to try, if you wish. Let me know how the built in cleaning function works, and I’ll guide you through the manual steps next, or I can recommend replacement options if you prefer.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

--

Please note:

I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in an effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. This site works on the honor system, and to that end, I have prioritized working with you ahead of other paying customers.

Although you’ve already paid your fee to the site, I am only compensated for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work. Again I apologize there is not a better outcome here, though this is really beyond either of our control. I do hope you’ll consider leaving a 5 star rating for me, rather than “shoot the messenger”, so that I may get credit for my time spent in good faith to answer your question accurately. Rating 1 or 2, or not rating at all, does not produce a refund, it only penalizes me for trying to help.

Regarding the costs, you're paying for my time and expertise to get a quick answer without having to leave home or haul the printer across town. Had you taken it in to a local repair shop, they'd be charging you a $100+ diagnostic fee just to look at it, with the exact same outcome.

No I'm not happy at all. I was talking to someone named Robert and now I have you. When I clicked to pay and it asked for my email address it said I already had an account and then took me to some other pricing. So how much is this answer cuz I've already done all of this before you told me and had already explained this to Robert so I do not want to pay for this and how much is this anyway

You were never talking to robert at all.

You saw an ad for another tech here named robert, as he is one of many available techs, your question gets routed to the first person available, and he would have provided the same information.

You did not indicate having done anything at all, or I would not have used either of our time to write and read it again.

Did you really do the automated cleaning 5 times?
Would you like to at least attempt the manual cleaning steps that I offered?

The question price here that you had initially agreed to was $22, which is one of the lowest possible price levels, given the detail involved, and again still a fraction of what you'd pay anywhere else.

If you had started another question, it would have been lost/closed when you signed into your account, so you would have been transferred to me at that point anyway, and you would have paid for this question only, you aren't getting charged twice.

I guess I will have to contact my bank and file a complaint to have the charges removed and will keep this conversation as verification. Is there a customer service I can call with your comoany

That really isn't necessary, you could simply make a polite request for a refund and I would have helped you with it.

While the site does have a satisfaction guarantee, that is in relation to getting an accurate and quick answer, it does not mean that every problem can be fixed.

I did provide the answer above, in response to your soliciting my services. The answer is complete and accurate. I do wish I had better news for you, but I cannot change a hardware failure of the printer, I can only diagnose and explain the problem and give you practical advise for how to proceed, ie replacement recommendations.

I have done this on my own personal time. I am not a site employee and get no hourly wage. If you feel that after requesting this answer, that it is fair and reasonable to utilize my time and expertise at no cost, that is up to your conscience and you may request a refund through the help page. In doing so, I am unfortunately forced to work for free to help you, but again that is up to your discretion.

Have a nice day,

Nathan, I think you are missing my point. I feel like I was mislead. A chat box opened and said it was Robert. I posted my question and said what I have done per his request and he sent me to another windrow that says there was a $5 deposit and answer was $13 or something. Then I paid and got you and was charged $22. I never agreed to that. So I am politely requesting a refund. How can we get this taken care of. You are not the problem nor is the answer. I'm upset becuz this was not what was advertised and what you told me I had already tried when I googled a solution so I thought it it might be more and it said if I wasn't satisfied I would get a full refund

Again, you were never speaking with him, you were seeing an ad for one of many possible techs and were simply rerouted to me after you sent your question, which I did see. Under what have you tried, you only said "everything".

With all due respect, I offered some additional information, if you were willing to try.

If you wish to continue, I'd be happy to. Otherwise at this point I need to opt out and spend my time working with others.