Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

Brother Printer MFC-J870DW had a simple jam in the back.

Customer Question
Hi, Brother Printer MFC-J870DW had...
Hi, Brother Printer MFC-J870DW had a simple jam in the back. Cleared, and printer says OK to resume printing. However, the printer does everything it is supposed to EXCEPT put ink on the paper! And there is no error message! I have been dealing with this for hours and it is now 11 PM. Can you help me?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Printers
I do not want the damn free trial. Just let me pay; had major surgery and supposed to be in bed for 6 weeks! This is day 10. Please just help me!
2/24/2016
Technician: Md. Sadique, Engineer replied 2 years ago
Md. Sadique
Md. Sadique, Engineer

Hello and thanks for your question. I look forward to assisting you today with the best answer possible.

When you try to print, do you hear the print head traversing back and forth, with the paper advancing line by line?

Or, you feel that the paper feeds through much faster than normal, and no sound of the back and forth travel of the ink cartridges.

What is the age of your unit ?

to the first paragraph. The unit is less than 6 months old. Thank you for your contacting me quickly.

The most common and likely cause to this type of problem is either some foreign object/paper dust is stuck in the paper feed or printer, or the paper sensor in the feed tray has become dirty or defective.

Turn Off the printer, unplug it from the power as well as from computer completely.Then remove all paper from the paper feed unit and blow it out with compressed air a few times. With a flashlight look inside the paper feed to ensure there is nothing obstructing the paper feed mechanism down inside the printer where it is not easily seen.

Next, take moistened Q-tips and clean the rubber rollers in the automatic sheet feeder using it. Then blow some compressed air inside the printer as well to remove excess dust and to dry the rollers.

Holding the printer in both hands , turn it upside down and gently shake it for a few seconds to see if anything falls out of the paper feed area.

Then plug the printer back up and replace it with a fresh, small stack (about 5 pages) of paper.Then try to print again.

If still it doesn't helps then as a last resort you can try forcing a thick paper or fold a A4 piece of paper in half, and then by hand push it through the machine, hopefully this may push any objects out.

After that turn the printer OFF, when it is on, by unplugging it from the power source.
Then unplug it from the computer and leave it that way for 10 minutes. Then replace everything back.

Tell me how it goes!

Compressed Air'? Do you really think non-computer people have this at hand at 11:30 PM? I already took it apart with unplugging, etc. as I explained. If what you are saying is true: dust, it has to be exactly where the printer either 'gets the print ink message', or 'does the actual print'. Where is that? And by the way, the jam that started this hours ago was in the BACK of the printer.
I'm missing something. The machine feeds paper just fine. It acts as though it is printing, but when the printer is done 'printing' and spews out the 'finished product', there is no ink on it!

The printhead is the part of the printer which puts ink onto the paper. If the paper is coming out blank the printhead is faulty.

I just brushed and blew out the back the best I could to no avail. By the way, I am in a wheelchair and cannot lift the printer. It is near impossible to plug/unplug the printer, but I have.
I just blew it out again. Have shut down the machine. Will unplug and plug back in and restart again. Will let you know when back up. Hold tight.

Good luck!

Nothing you did works. And by the way, it was $5 to start and a total of $23 upon satisfaction. It still is not printing. I am not satisfied. I've done everything you asked. So if we have concluded, I am not paying more than $5.

It verifies the printhead has gone bad.

By 'Good Luck' and my last note, I believe we completed an incomplete transaction? This is a brand new printer and hardly gets used. I presume by your response, we are at an impasse. You want to say it is a bad printer, but your solutions were easy to resolve or not. You never gave reference to a possible faulty printer at the beginning. We have a problem now and I conclude I am not satisfied and am in a wheelchair with no way to fix my printer, and that you, Andy, were not able to help me. Therefore, I expect not to pay more than $5. We have an unsatisfactory completion of this transaction.
I must conclude this at once. I am very ill. Please respond that our business is concluded @ $5. T

As of first step I we will try cleaning your printhead via control panel. if it doesn't helps then you will have to replace the printhead. Which will be done free of cost as this printer is under warranty.

Please let me know if you want to continue.

No, I do not not owe you $26. I owe you $5.. I will call Brother tomorrow for help. I cannot get out of the house. I am ending this session and reject your response as unsatisfactory. This conversation is over.

Thanks for using JustAnswer.

John, Computer Science Engineer