Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

I am having a couple issues with my Epson WF-7620 printer.

Customer Question
Hi, I am having...

Hi, I am having a couple issues with my Epson WF-7620 printer. The print is unaligned and blurry. I have tried many times to remedy this with the alignment tools. I am also getting an error code OxEA

Technician's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Printer Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.

It started when I was trying to print envelopes. I don't think any got jammed, but I could not get it to print out clearly. I then aborted trying to print enveloped and continued regular printing on letter paper. I continued to get the same bad quality. I changed the ink as I knew it was getting low and tried the head cleaning and adjusting many times. I am still unsuccessful to print clearly

Technician's Assistant: Sometimes printer issues that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Printer Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you ready to speak with the Printer Technician now?

Yes

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Printers
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/24/2016
Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 2 years ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

This is a “diffuse” message which simply denotes an internal fault. That can be caused by anything from debris/obstruction (paper jam, bent/damaged rails, out of place purge assembly/wiper, or dirty/dislocated encoder strip) to an actual hardware defect (bad sensor or control board, faulty carriage drive motor/gear/belt, bad printhead/carriage pcb).

What we can try here are some cleaning and reset steps.
First, open up the printer, and check for any internal debris such as scraps of paper, paperclip or staple, etc. Check if you’re able to move the carriage manually, or if it moves on its own when lifting the lid. If it does move, you can proceed with cleaning by blowing out the Inside compartment with compressed air and checking carefully on both sides for any obstructions. Next remove all of the ink cartridges, then clean the metal electrical contacts on the back, as well as where they mate up inside the printer, using qtips and rubbing alcohol. Dry well, then reseat the cartridges. Then wipe down the encoder strip, which is a clear plastic strip running the width of the printer, that sits just slightly above and behind the carriage.

Then reset the machine:
unplug power at the wall outlet
wait 5 minutes
press and hold the power/on button for 60+ seconds
keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release

Let me know the results, and I’ll advise further if needed.

Did you need more help with this?

Those solutions worked well, but is still not very good. The print is still slightly Misaligned and parts are somewhat blurry. Perhaps another cleaning and reset is needed. I will try again tomorrow
Technician: BigDish101,
 replied 2 years ago
BigDish101

It sounds like the print head is on it's way out to me, if you decide to go the new printer route I highly suggest investing in a laser based printer for a office environment, even home-office.

Thank you for the update. I'm not sure how many times you attempted it, but you can run through the automated cleaning tool in the setup menu also, up to 5 times total.

If no change at that point, it would indicate a failing printhead or logic board. This is a 2014 model and designed by a maximum 3 year service life, so it is nearing that point of replacement anyway. Epson heads cannot be replaced, you'd spend more to fix it than you would to buy a new printer, even if you got the same model (so you could use your existing ink supply): http://amzn.to/21xKjPe

Note that these, like all consumer grade inkjet printers, are designed to be low cost and are essentially disposable after a few years, subsidized by the high cost of ink cartridges. If you wish to have a better quality and longer lasting printer, that comes with years worth of ink up front, consider the Epson ecotank models instead: http://amzn.to/1PpOj0C

Alternately, for a more business/commercial grade product that will be rated for a 5 year life, consider a laser printer. Lasers cost more up front also, but a toner cartridge can last for thousands of pages. A black only all in one laser is around $125: http://amzn.to/1JSHOlQ

while a color model is about twice that: http://amzn.to/1n4I7Q5

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please rate my service; hopefully I have earned 5 Stars. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1QwLxGh and ask for Nathan.

Thank you, ***** ***** a good day,

--

Please note:

I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in an effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. This site works on the honor system, and to that end, I have prioritized working with you ahead of other paying customers.

Although you’ve already paid your fee to the site, I am only compensated for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work. Again I apologize there is not a better outcome here, though this is really beyond either of our control. I do hope you’ll consider leaving a 5 star rating for me, rather than “shoot the messenger”, so that I may get credit for my time spent in good faith to answer your question accurately. Rating 1 or 2, or not rating at all, does not produce a refund, it only penalizes me for trying to help.

Did you need more help with this?