Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

In my supply level on my printer- it shows I have about 2/3…

Customer Question
In my supply level on...
In my supply level on my printer- it shows I have about 2/3 of my yellow ink, but the printer keeps showing that it is need of replacing so I cannot print in color. How do I get it register that there is yellow ink. The supply is relatively new.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Printers
2/22/2016
Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 2 years ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

There are a few possible causes of this issue, including a bad cartridge, internal debris/contamination, or a hardware failure (bad printhead, bad logic board, faulty sensor, etc).

What we can try are some cleaning and reset steps.

First remove all of the ink cartridges, then clean the metal electrical contacts on the back, as well as where they mate up inside the printer, using qtips and rubbing alcohol. Dry well, give them a good shake, then reseat the cartridges.

Then reset the machine:
unplug power at the wall outlet
wait 5 minutes
press and hold the power/on button for 60+ seconds
keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release

Let me know the results, and I'll advise further if needed.

I followed your directions and I am thinking it is a faulty cartridge. I will take it back to Staples and talk with them. I would like to not be charged the $26.00 of assistance. Thanks

A faulty cartridge is one of the possibilities, as I explained originally.

We've made the attempts here that you can do on your own, and the next step would be confirming with a new cartridge, though additional steps may be needed after that as well.

If you need more help after you have a new one, I'm available to continue the conversation.

--

Please note:

I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in an effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. This site works on the honor system, and to that end, I have prioritized working with you ahead of other paying customers.

Although you’ve already paid your fee to the site, I am only compensated for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work. Again I apologize there is not a better outcome here, though this is really beyond either of our control. I do hope you’ll consider leaving a 5 star rating for me, rather than “shoot the messenger”, so that I may get credit for my time spent in good faith to answer your question accurately. Rating 1 or 2, or not rating at all, does not produce a refund, it only penalizes me for trying to help.

Did you need more help with this?