Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

My canon pixmar MX410 will not print from ADF

Customer Question
my canon pixmar MX410 will not print from ADF
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Printers
2/22/2016
Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 2 years ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Do you mean it won't feed the paper through? The pages come out blank?

it will not feed - it prints from the glass.
clarification:The message is "Cannot scan from ADF" - it will print a single page .

Thank you for confirming.

This indicates either contamination in the adf, or a hardware fault in the feed mechanism.

Lift the lid over the adf and check carefully with a flashlight for any scraps of paper, stray staples or paperclips, etc. Clean all exposed rubber wheels/rollers with qtips and rubbing alcohol. Blow it out with compressed air, then close it back up.

Lift the lid over the glass, then clean the underside of the lid on the far left side carefully.

Then reset the machine:
unplug power at the wall outlet
wait 5 minutes
press and hold the power/on button for 60+ seconds
keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release

Let me know the results, and I’ll advise further if needed.

I’ve attempted to accept your call request, but it appears to have failed on your end due to a payment issue. You may need to increase your deposit or clear a security hold on your account. I’ll resend a new phone offer from my end that may be more readily processed.

Completed - same message "cannot scan from ADF"

Thank you for confirming.

One last effort: try forcing a piece of heavy cardstock paper through the adf (either from the input direction or backwards from below) to dislodge anything else that may be stuck there that you're missing.

If still no change, it would indicate a hardware fault in the auto feed mechanism (bad sensor, bad control board, etc)

These adf components are a "wear item" that fails with age/use. As this is a 2011 model printer, it is well past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising to see, and you can expect other components like the printhead to fail soon as well.

While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the adf assembly, which costs about $150; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $50-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

Depending how you'd like to proceed, I can advise on finding parts, finding a local repair shop, or recommending replacement options for you. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

I have to leave you now as need to send emails - pls message my email with instructions how I can get back to you to talk further.

I cannot email you directly, we have to talk here (or by phone, if you accept the prior offer)

Just keep this page open, or bookmark/favorite this page, and you can follow up with me at your convenience if you need any more information.

--

Please note:

I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in an effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. This site works on the honor system, and to that end, I have prioritized working with you ahead of other paying customers.

Although you’ve already paid your fee to the site, I am only compensated for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work. Again I apologize there is not a better outcome here, though this is really beyond either of our control. I do hope you’ll consider leaving a 5 star rating for me, rather than “shoot the messenger”, so that I may get credit for my time spent in good faith to answer your question accurately. Rating 1 or 2, or not rating at all, does not produce a refund, it only penalizes me for trying to help.

Do you need more help with this?