Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

Mr.,
, I have an HPOfficeJet J3680 printer. I am not…

Customer Question
Hi Mr. Miller, ...

Hi Mr. Miller,

Technician's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

I have an HPOfficeJet J3680 printer. I am not able to print from it and the message on the printer says "Jan 23 '16 08:37A Fax. Can you give me any direction? I have reinstalled the driver twice. Thanks. Nancy

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Printers
2/19/2016
Technician: Viet - Printer Tech, Printer Technician replied 2 years ago
Viet - Printer Tech
Viet - Printer Tech, Printer Technician

I'm sorry about the issue. What happens when you print? Is there any error or message?

When you reinstalled the driver, did it install successfully? Or was there any error or message?

Is the printer connected to the computer with a (USB) cable?

Do you have windows xp, vista, or 7, or 8, 10, or mac computer?

Please reply at the box below. Thank you,

There is no message when I print. Just a blank page. No message or error when the driver was installed.
I have Windows 7. Again there is the message saying fax on the printer.
Thanks.

When was the last time you were able to print? Have you tried to do the print head cleaning option? Please let me know. Thank you.

The message fax on the printer is normal; it stays in fax mode when idle even when you do not use fax (just like when the printer was working fine previously, it would stay in fax mode when idle also.) So don't worry about the fax message. The fact that the printer is able to print out blank page (when doing a copy on the printer itself, it copies blank also right), that means the communication between the printer and the computer is fine; there is no issue with the printer's driver; the issue is with the ink. How old is the ink? Let's test cleaning the ink:

Solution #1: Clean the ink cartridge using the printer's built-in tool.

- On the printer device, press Setup, then press key 6, then key 1 (this would select Tools menu, then Clean Print Cartridge option)

; or another way: On the computer, open the HP Solution Center program, then click on Settings, then click on Print Settings, then click on Printer Toolbox, then click on Device Services tab, then click on Clean the Print Cartridges, and continue.

; yet another method: Click on Start -> Devices and Printers, then right-click on the HP printer, then click on Printer Properties (or could be Printing preferences), then click on Services tab / Services this printer, then click on Printer Toolbox -> Device Services tab -> Clean the Print Cartridges and continue.)

- Full details:

http://i.imgur.com/RDcmHxN.jpg

Solution #2:

- If that does not work, please take out the ink cartridge and clean it physically. Please click on the websites below for instructions / illustrations:

http://i.imgur.com/0qtaQMd.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/hyBF2Ry.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/JTHRais.jpg

Note: Click on the website below for instructions / illustrations on how to take out / insert ink cartridge:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Officejet-J3600-All-in-One-Printer-series/3440986/model/3441025/document/c01107017/

- Also, if needed, you can clean the printer device:

http://i.imgur.com/J4C7xbk.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/BEde89K.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/X1XdrnD.jpg

Solution #3:

- If that still does not work, it looks like the ink cartridge is out or dried up, or bad. Please replace with a new ink cartridge and check. Instructions:

Please reply at the box below to continue troubleshooting. Thank you.

When you are available, please type at the box below, then click on the Send button below to communicate with me, so I can help further. Thank you.

Have you tried the above steps yet?

Can you put a document or photo on the printer, then use the Copy option / button on the printer, does it make a copy? Or is it blank also?

Please reply at the box below to continue. Thank you.

I changed & put in new ink. It seems to work ok except when I try to now print an Adobe reader printout. How can I now get an Adobe page to print out? Thanks. Nancy

You're welcome. Great. What do you mean it "print an Adobe reader printout"?

Are you able to print anything such as a document, a pdf file, a picture file, a web page, an email message, etc.?

When you print, at the print dialog window, can you make sure that you select the correct printer name of yours, then print?

Please reply at the box below to continue troubleshooting. Thank you for your patience.

If you still need help with this issue or with anything else, please reply at the box below, so I can help further. If everything is fine, can you please take a moment to rate my service by clicking on the 5-star icon at the top, then click on Submit when it shows up. Thank you very much.