Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

I have a Canon Pixma MG 7520. I purchased this printer from…

Customer Question
I have a Canon Pixma...
I have a Canon Pixma MG 7520. I purchased this printer from Best buys in Waynesville, NC on 7/14/15. After replacing the initial cartridges, I keep getting an error COOO-either a component jam or wrong ink tank position. New tanks (all 6) nor a visible inspection does not correct problem. Best buys Geek squad gave up and suggested I sent the printer back to you for repair. Can you give me an estimate of charges, time for repair and where, how to mail the printer? Don
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Printers
2/18/2016
Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 2 years ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble, Don.

This is a “diffuse” message which simply denotes an internal fault. That can be caused by anything from debris/obstruction (paper jam, bent/damaged rails, out of place purge assembly/wiper, or dirty/dislocated encoder strip) to an actual hardware defect (bad sensor or control board, faulty carriage drive motor/gear/belt, bad printhead/carriage pcb).

What we can try here are some cleaning and reset steps.
First, open up the printer, and check for any internal debris such as scraps of paper, paperclip or staple, etc. Check if you’re able to move the carriage manually, or if it moves on its own when lifting the lid. If it does move, you can proceed with cleaning by blowing out the Inside compartment with compressed air and checking carefully on both sides for any obstructions. Next remove all of the ink cartridges, then clean the metal electrical contacts on the back, as well as where they mate up inside the printer, using qtips and rubbing alcohol. Dry well, then reseat the cartridges. Then wipe down the encoder strip, which is a clear plastic strip running the width of the printer, that sits just slightly above and behind the carriage.

Then reset the machine:
unplug power at the wall outlet
wait 5 minutes
press and hold the power/on button for 60+ seconds
keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release

Let me know the results, and I’ll advise further if needed.