Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

The issue is with Brother MFC-665CW.
, Originally the…

Customer Question
My name is *****...

My name is ***** ***** the issue is with Brother MFC-665CW.

Technician's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Originally the code read unable to print code 51. I reset the purge to 0000 and tried a to print. The display showed receiving data then went to error code "unable to clean 50"

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Printers
2/17/2016
Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 2 years ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble, April.

Unfortunately, there is no quick or easy fix here. This message indicates a hardware problem, specifically that that the internal "ink absorber system" is faulty. The ink absorber is a series of pads/tanks, which catch drips from the printhead when parked, and is also used for maintenance tasks like cleaning and purging.

Eventually this absorber fills up, and the printer shuts down operations, as continuing to operate it can result in ink overflowing the system, damaging your desk, flooring, etc

While it is sometimes possible to temporarily reset the counter, this is dangerous as the system will likely overflow. While you were able to reset the system, there is still an underlying hardware issue, specifically a fault around the purge cam/sensor. To fully resolve this would require replacing the purge assembly. This service is generally not practical though - it's going to run you $150-250 for repairs, which just isn't worth it for an older printer. This is an 11 year old model, that was built for a service life of 3 years. At this point it has served its maximum designed lifespan nearly 4 times over and has greatly exceeded any value that could be reasonably expected of it.

If you have reached the point that the absorber has filled, then other wear items like the printhead, feed rollers, etc are also going to be at the end of their lives and need service/replacement soon.

Given the costs and complexity of fixing this issue, you'd be better off replacing the printer. You can get a brand new and better machine, with current technology and a fresh warranty, for about $80, which makes more sense than investing in the older machine.

I can recommend replacement options for you if you'd like, or if you'd prefer to try having it serviced or working on it yourself, I can advise further on those options. Replacement would be your best bet though, economically speaking.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Did you need any more help with this, April?