Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

I am an 85 year old retired teacher. I use a computer with…

Customer Question
I am an 85 year...
I am an 85 year old retired teacher. I use a computer with scanner and printer attached. At my age writing has become a problem and my handwriting is not legible even to ME! At one point I was using a printer for which I had designed a check writing program which worked but ONLY when I inserted the check at the proper place. They no longer make such a printer. I have been searching for a printer which would do this but can not find one. What I need is as follows:
Printer would be able to print on a regular size bank check which is 6 inches long by 2 3/4 inches wide. I do not wish to try to print everything on the check but wish to use the standard checks as issued by the bank. With my old printer I was able to design a program where I could type the information for each of the "blanks" and the printer would print that info in the correct space such as TO: DATE: AMOUNT: etc.. I would then carefully insert the check and the printer would print the check so that all I had to do was sign it with my shaky handwriting. I would not be using this printer for anything else so an old fashioned dot matrix, a mono-printer, or most any older type printer would be adequate for the job.
I am NOT in business so output would be very little. If I could find any kind of printer which would print well on a 6 X 2 3/4 paper I believe I could make a program which would allow me to do this. It would not matter if it printed the check horizontally or vertically but I don't want to get into having to buy checks that come on a standard 8 by 11 page.
Please advise me as to whether you know of a printer that would do this task.
Lowry *****
*** ******* ****
****** ** ***** ***
*****@*****.***
Phone: (***) ***-**** but I do not like to try to do things over the phone
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Printers
2/15/2016
Technician: Dustin, Printer Repair Specialist replied 2 years ago
Dustin, Printer Repair Specialist
Experience: A deep understanding and technical prowess in the finer points of printing and printer repair. Also worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you.

Many printers will handle that task. What you really want to focus on first is the check writing software that will communicate with the printer. Here is a suitable low cost check writing software.

http://amzn.to/20zx6mV

It is a mono-laser, which will be fine for checks, and should last quite some time with low usage. Just dont expect to print any pictures with this~

And here is a low cost compatible laser printer that will work with that software.

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a rating of excellent ( 5 stars ) selected and submitted below this answer or at the top right of the screen. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.

You did NOT read my question. I do NOT wish to incur the expense of a new program, a new printer, and new check paper.
I simply wish to fill in thee blanks on my present checks via a printer. AND no, there are not "MANY" printers which will do that.
I am retired and do not have any business, so I don't need the fancy programs with the fancy checks etc.. If I could find an older printer with a roller type feed, I can create a program which will do what I want. So thanks but no thanks.

Any printer will work, its a matter of cost for ink and reliability.

What you need is the check writing software, whether you want it or not.

And I did read your question, and Ive answered it. If you dont want to buy a printer.. Then I assume you already have one.

I never mentioned check paper.. But you would of course need check paper to print.

And definitely what you need to have is check writing software. Because its the check writing software that allows you to send the print command to the printer to tell it "where" to print on the checks and "what" to print.

Here is the check writing software again. http://amzn.to/1Trl3ss

For this to work.. You will also need a printer.

If you have further questions, let me know.

Dustin S.