Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

We own an "All-in-one C410) HP Photosmart printer. We

Customer Question
We own an "All-in-one C410)...
We own an "All-in-one C410) HP Photosmart printer. We finished printing a lengthy document and had to replace the black ink cartridge. Now we are not able to print a document from my computer - blank sheet; while my wife printed a paper with no black ink from her computer (Apple).
What do I do? I replaced the rest of the ink cartridges.
Ron (*****@******.***)
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Printers
2/3/2016
Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 2 years ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Ron,

These symptoms point to either a clogged/contaminated print head, or a faulty print head (or the logic board that controls it).

You can try going into the setup/maintenance menu on the machine and running the “clean print head” function repeatedly, up to 5 times total, testing after each.

If it still doesn’t print anything, you’ll need to do a manual cleaning as a next step.

I have to caution you up front though that the manual cleaning process is messy and time consuming. It also has a low chance of success, if you see no improvement at all from the automated cleaning. It is most likely a hardware failure (bad head) which the cleaning can’t fix, as printheads are a wear item and do fail with time/use.

Realistically, it’s probably time for a new printer. As this is a 2010 model printer, it is well past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising. While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $85; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

That said, it doesn’t hurt to try, if you wish. Let me know how the built in cleaning function works, and I’ll guide you through the manual steps next, or I can recommend replacement options if you prefer.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

I failed to receive the above response. Therefore it appeared to me that I failed to get a response and would respectfully ***** ***** refund of the the $35. I was charged.
Thank you

Hi, Ron. I replied to your question with the above information within a few minutes after your question was posted. The reply would have shown here on the site and you should have also received several emails noting the reply.

At this point it would appear that you have viewed the answer, and the information is still applicable. If you have further questions about it or need any more information, I'm happy to continue the discussion with you.

I have no control over any billing matters though and cannot access your account or give refunds.

--

Please note:

I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in an effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. This site works on the honor system, and to that end, I have prioritized working with you ahead of other paying customers.

Although you’ve already paid your fee to the site, I am only compensated for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work. Again I apologize there is not a better outcome here, though this is really beyond either of our control. I do hope you’ll consider leaving a 5 star rating for me, rather than “shoot the messenger”, so that I may get credit for my time spent in good faith to answer your question accurately.