Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

How do I print from a USB key? Brother MFC-J5720Dw

Customer Question
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Printers
2/3/2016
Technician: Russell H., Printer and Office Tech replied 2 years ago
Russell H., Printer and Office Tech

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I'm sorry to have to honestly say, after some research, that there is no such function listed for your model of Brother printer.

You can print through the USB port, of course... but that refers to printing from a computer through that USB port.

This is where the USB port is located on this model - inside the machine, oddly:

http://support.brother.com/g/b/img/faqend/faq00000557_003/eu_ot/en/1000153/ConnectUSBcable.gif

But it is explicitly for connecting to a computer:

http://support.brother.com/g/b/img/faqend/faq00000557_003/eu_ot/en/1000154/USBcableEntryPoint.gif

However, one other use for the USB port is mentioned: for connecting directly to a Mac AirPort Station or router that has a USB port.

That is not USB drive usage, however. But it might suggest an avenue toward use of the printer.

Also, if you are locked out of Bluetooth usage etc., that may be deliberate - this model allows locking out of some printing functions. To try to turn the locking Off (if it is indeed On) go to

Settings

All Settings

General Setup

Function Lock

Lock Off

and if that is set to On, try setting it to Off... it will require an Admin passcode of four digits. But if you were lucky, that passcode might be something simple and 'default', like

1234

or

1111

or

0000.

Thanks. I couldn't wait and called Brother. You can print via a USB if the document is a jpg or picture format. Looks like there's an issue with the wireless. I'll just have to buy a new USB cableThanks.

I'm glad to hear that it got sorted out. I never did see any indication that printing from USB was possible... I guess either I was not likely to find it because I believed it didn't exist, or it just isn't there in the documentation available to me.

Inserting/connecting a USB drive to an oddly placed, internal USB port like the one this printer has, makes using a USB drive with it wildly unlikely, IMHO.

Thanks for asking your question here at JustAnswer, and good luck.

(Please rate my answer, if you're done with this case, so that this case may be closed.)