Richard, Technician
Experience:  Printer and scanner problem resolver for over 15 years
32989067

I do not have a designated fax number. My canon is

Customer Question

I do not have a designated fax number. My canon is printerMX490. I have a home phone through my cable company. Do I have to take my phone off hook to dial the fax number or is it done automatically?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Hi there and welcome

Your phone does not and cannot be off hook for this. You need to connect the Fax to the phone line and you then connect your phone via the extension on the fax machine.

Then the Fax once setup will automatically detect the fax and print it out.

You can follow the steps to set this up here

http://ugp01.c-ij.com/ij/webmanual/Manual/W/MX490%20series/EN/FAX/fax_preparing0100.html

If you have any problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Else if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you