Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

There is no paper jammed in my brand new epson wf4640, yet

Customer Question

there is no paper jammed in my brand new epson wf4640, yet the screen says there paper jammed and will not proceed
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

This is a “diffuse” message which simply denotes an internal fault. That can be caused by anything from debris/obstruction (paper jam, bent/damaged rails, out of place purge assembly/wiper, or dirty/dislocated encoder strip) to an actual hardware defect (bad sensor or control board, faulty carriage drive motor/gear/belt, bad printhead/carriage pcb).

Initially though, look it over very carefully for any blue or orange tape, or other foam/plastic packing materials inside. For a new machine, that is the most likely cause of this error.

What we can try here are some cleaning and reset steps.
First, open up the printer, and check for any internal debris such as scraps of paper, paperclip or staple, etc. Check if you’re able to move the carriage manually, or if it moves on its own when lifting the lid. If it does move, you can proceed with cleaning by blowing out the Inside compartment with compressed air and checking carefully on both sides for any obstructions. Next remove all of the ink cartridges, then clean the metal electrical contacts on the back, as well as where they mate up inside the printer, using qtips and rubbing alcohol. Dry well, then reseat the cartridges. Then wipe down the encoder strip, which is a clear plastic strip running the width of the printer, that sits just slightly above and behind the carriage.

Then reset the machine:
unplug power at the wall outlet
wait 5 minutes
press and hold the power/on button for 60+ seconds
keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release

Let me know the results, and I’ll advise further if needed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have looked very carefully and throughly and every thing appears to be clean an in place. there is no secure type tape anywhere. HELP
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

I’ve attempted to accept your call request, but it appears to have failed on your end due to a payment issue. You may need to increase your deposit or clear a security hold on your account. I’ll resend a new phone offer from my end that may be more readily processed.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Do you still need help with this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You were no help at all. I will tell you again and if my printer works I will send you your money. I bought a new Ed 4640 Pinter it printed two color copies on Two different times. Then it always claim my machine is stuck and I must clear the clogged paper. There is no paper stuck ln my machine and ther is no packing tape anywhere. If get my machine to work. I will gladly pay you
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

You asked me for a call, and I sent the call offer to you, but received no further response.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Your phone call requires additional money up front. If you can t fix my printer than you are a fraud
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

So does the chat service, you've already paid that fee (to the site, not to me) per the terms you agreed to.

This is a legitimate support service, and I'm simply trying to provide the service you requested. You asked for a call, and I sent the offer. If you no longer wanted that, you need only say so and we could continue here instead.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not at home now Monday when I am home and I will accept your offer with treperdation You satisfaction guarantee thus far has fallied
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

That is just fine, I'll await your reply on monday at your convenience. With all due respect, we haven't had a chance to further our conversation, and there isn't always an instant fix for every situation there are many other diagnostics and steps to work through, which we have only just begun.