Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

Printer will not print error B200 says to unplug the power…

Customer Question
Printer will not print error...
Printer will not print error B200 says to unplug the power cord and contact the service center. Have unplugged it and it still will not work
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Printers
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/25/2016
Technician: Dustin, Printer Repair Specialist replied 2 years ago
Dustin, Printer Repair Specialist
Experience: A deep understanding and technical prowess in the finer points of printing and printer repair. Also worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller

Welcome to JustAnswer.com, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you.

This problem is fixable without replacing parts ( usually ) If you are willing to get your hands dirty.

This is a very common failure and error among canon printers.. It points to either dirty ink tanks, faulted ink tanks, or a dirty or faulted printhead. It may take several steps to repair it, so please be thorough and patient as you work through this process.

A lot of websites and experienced technicians see a B200 error and assume the printhead needs to be replaced.. While this is sometimes the case, and often is.. Its not the end all meaning and solution to that error. It could be several possibilities.. The one I want to focus on is dirty nozzles, and dirty contacts on the printhead.

Here's the deal, since the print-head is useless and needs to be replaced unless we repair it.. Then we are free to take the steps we need to repair it because if we don't repair it, it has to be replaced.

To get started, remove all ink cartridges, and then remove the print-head.. Note that on the bottom of the print-head there are extremely tiny nozzles.. This is where the ink comes out of. One of these could be clogged, bent, or burnt or otherwise damaged.

What we want to do after we remove the print-head is soak it in a solution of Windex and water, say 1 part Windex to 3 parts water would suffice. If you don't have Windex rubbing alcohol will work, 1 part Isopropyl alcohol to 4 parts water. We only want to soak the nozzles on the bottom of the print-head, Take care not to soak the electrical circuit board contacts where the print-head contacts the printer, or where the ink carts contact the print-head.

Once we have let this soak for about an hour, while it is still wet. Take a old toothbrush and gently scrub the bottom of the nozzles. The idea is to remove any gummed up ink. Without bending or breaking the delicate nozzles on the bottom. Once scrubbed, take that same lint free cloth, and now dip it in the cleaning solution we made and thoroughly clean the contacts on the print-head. Contacts for the ink cartridges inside the print-head and also the contacts where the print-head meets the printer itself.

Once the print-head has been thoroughly cleaned.. Have a read over this page which goes into depth about specifically cleaning the inlet nozzles. https://correctcomputing.wordpress.com/2015/06/30/canon-mx-860-printing-failure-is-it-actually-my-printhead/

Once dry, put it back in the printer, do not insert any ink cartridges yet.. Once the print-head is in, turn the printer on. If you still get the b200 error stop right here. The only other problems that this could be is possibly a bad power adapter. This is somewhat rare, and it could also be a logic board fault. which is also rare. If you did still get the b200 error, Your best option is to replace the print-head or replace the entire printer. Replacing the print-head will get the printer working again.(95% of the time ) But if its close to the cost of a new similar printer, id go with a new printer because a new printer has a warranty on it whereas the new print-head will not.

You can order a new print-head at this link. http://amzn.to/1UmFwvQ The cost is about 100$ including shipping..

You will notice that below the picture you can order two models of Canon Pixma printers with ink and print-heads for right around 100$. Such as this one. http://amzn.to/1fFagJP As far as what route to choose, if you really liked the printer. I would repair it. If your not that attached to it I would replace it and get a new low cost printer that has a one year warranty.. That way if something goes wrong, you can at least be within warranty and get a free repair or replacement.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a rating of excellent submitted below this answer when you are satisfied.. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.