Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

My name is my issue is that i have an epson nx430 i am

Customer Question
Hello my name...

Hello my name is dave my issue is that i have an epson nx430 i am attempting to print, it spits out a page and says paper out with a full tray of paper available

Technician's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Not really i press print it spits out a blank page and says paper out I've tried it at least a dozen times

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Printers
1/22/2016
Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 2 years ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble, Dave.

These symptoms point to either a clogged/contaminated print head, or a faulty print head (or the logic board that controls it).

There may be a compound/additional fault here related to a bad sensor or defect in the feed/drive path.

You can try going into the setup/maintenance menu on the machine and running the “clean print head” function repeatedly, up to 5 times total, testing after each.

If it still doesn’t print anything, you’ll need to do a manual cleaning as a next step.

I have to caution you up front though that the manual cleaning process is messy and time consuming. It also has a low chance of success, if you see no improvement at all from the automated cleaning. It is most likely a hardware failure (bad head) which the cleaning can’t fix, as printheads are a wear item and do fail with time/use.

Realistically, it’s probably time for a new printer. As this is a 2013 model printer, it is at/past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising. While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $150; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

That said, it doesn’t hurt to try, if you wish. Let me know how the built in cleaning function works, and I’ll guide you through the manual steps next, or I can recommend replacement options if you prefer.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,