Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

HOW DO I FIX My Canon MX310 Printer SO THAT I CAN CONTINUE…

Customer Question
HOW DO I FIX My...
HOW DO I FIX My Canon MX310 Printer SO THAT I CAN CONTINUE TO PRINT WITH THIS PRINTER ON EL CAPITAN? The printer stops with the message "Stopped - 'Filter failed' for a canon mx310 printer on a Mac computer on newly installed El Capitan.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Printers
1/17/2016
Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 2 years ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble, George.

Unfortunately, this is a very old (2006) model printer that was designed for only a 3 year service life.

All support was discontinued for this model many years ago. It is not supported under your current operating system, and really would not be expected to work at all in this situation.

You can try manually loading drivers for another model, or you can try loading the built in mac drivers, but even then at best you'll only get basic printing functions (draft quality, black only), you won't have any advanced settings, maintenance/tools, or fax/scan functionality.

Really though, for a printer this age it has served its life many times over and greatly exceeded any value that could be reasonably expected of it. The printer would be expected to fail in the near future for hardware reasons (worn printhead, full purge system, etc) and would ultimately need to be replaced anyway. You may want to consider replacing the printer with a new/updated model that has current features (wifi, airprint, etc) and a fresh warranty that will be compatible with your computer. I can recommend some more suitable models for you, if you'd like.

There is no other "fix" for this printer that can force it to work, though you could potentially hook it up to an older computer, and "share" it on the network, though even in that situation it would be limited in capability (no scanning, etc).

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please rate my service; hopefully I have earned 5 Stars. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1QwLxGh

Thank you, ***** ***** a good day,

--

Please note:

I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in an effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. This site works on the honor system, and to that end, I have prioritized working with you ahead of other paying customers.

Although you’ve already paid your fee to the site, I am only compensated for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work. Again I apologize there is not a better outcome here, though this is really beyond either of our control. I do hope you’ll consider leaving a 5 star rating for me, rather than “shoot the messenger”, so that I may get credit for my time spent in good faith to answer your question accurately.

Nathan, Engineer