Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

I have a Canon Pixma MP990 all in one printer. It prints

Customer Question

I have a Canon Pixma MP990 all in one printer. It prints documents from my computer that are mainly blank although coloured Company logos can print out.
I have gone through the maintenance and nozzle check patterns, cleaning, auto head alignment. They all come out properly, no problems. I have also checked the LAN wireless connection.
I've become aware of the problem when I tried to print online receipts and also online tickets for events.
I would appreciate any advice or information you can offer me. Thanking you,
Susan
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Susan,

These symptoms point to either a clogged/contaminated print head, or a faulty print head (or the logic board that controls it).

This is specific to the black nozzles - they fail first because they get the most use. You may see acceptable results from a check pattern because it is combining colors to simulate black in some areas.

You can try going into the setup/maintenance menu on the machine and running the “clean print head” function repeatedly, up to 5 times total, testing after each.

If it still doesn’t print anything, you’ll need to do a manual cleaning as a next step.

I have to caution you up front though that the manual cleaning process is messy and time consuming. It also has a low chance of success, if you see no improvement at all from the automated cleaning. It is most likely a hardware failure (bad head) which the cleaning can’t fix, as printheads are a wear item and do fail with time/use.

Realistically, it’s probably time for a new printer. As this is a XXXX model printer, it is well past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising. While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $85; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

That said, it doesn’t hurt to try, if you wish. Let me know how the built in cleaning function works, and I’ll guide you through the manual steps next, or I can recommend replacement options if you prefer.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Sorry it looks like the site filtered out part of my last reply. I was trying to state that this was a 2 0 1 0 model printer, so at 5-6 years old, it is well over double its service life.