Michelle
Michelle, Printer Expert
Experience:  B.Sc. Computer Science with Honors
26798893

Canon Pixma MX 726: Each time I switch on, I get the message

Customer Question

Canon Pixma MX 726: Each time I switch on, I get the message "ASupport Code 6000. Printer Error has occurred.Turn device off, then on again". This problem persists. Andrew 14 Jan. 16
Category: Printers
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be the expert working with you today to help and resolve the problem you have posted.

I am sorry to know that you are facing problem with your printer.

Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

Remove the cartridge...turn off the unit....unplug the power cable...manually slide the carriage assembly\ printhead back and forth
also clean the rail against which the assembly slides with a tissue ensuring that there is no ink residue on it
clean the golden contacts of the cartridges and the printhead with a cotton swab dipped in little alcohol
once these steps have been done power on the printer and let me know if the error code changes.

Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

The error code indicates an issue with the purge unit

if error code repeats, try the below

1. Please open the printer cover and when the carriage head moves to center pull out the power cord.
2. The Purge unit is on the right side. Use a flashlight and you will see two ink pads. This is where the print-head is PARKED and is the top of the Purge unit.
3. There you will find wiper blades that move from the rear to the front. They wipe the bottom of the print-head when it is parked.
(The ink pads actually drop down about 3/4" to allow the wiper blade to pass and then it is supposed to spring back to the rear. Also the ink suction for cleaning the print-head is done by the purge unit.)
4. Use some rubber gloves and a paper towel and see if you can press the ink pads down just a little bit - about 1/4". See if for some reason the wiper blade is stuck extended, if so see if you can get it unstuck. Please do this gently such that you don't break anything

turn on printer and check. if still error repeats the unit would need to be serviced

if the unit is within warranty cover please contact Canon and get the unit serviced...if not, you need to contact a repair tech for physical replacement of the part..however, my personal suggestion is that a repair will not be cost effective

you can get a new unit at almost the same or little more cost

i hope you understand that in case of hardware faults i can suggest cleaning and reset steps but cannot make a bad part work again

let me know if you have any questions

Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

I hope I've provided the information you were seeking. If you have any question feel free to ask. Please provide a rating by clicking on the smiley face below or stars on top right of the page and hit submit. Please don't rate negatively Instead reply me so that i can continue to help you answer you question further