Russell H., Printer and Office Tech
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
13568747

Epson Stylus NX510 printer is jamming when printing on 8 1/2

Customer Question

Customer: Epson Stylus NX510 printer is jamming when printing on 8 1/2 x 11 plain paper. First noticed impending problem when printed sheets had faint black marks on the top and bottom. When it started jamming and I cleared the paper I noticed that the foam strip (loaded with black ink) was not completely flat against the bottom of the printer area. I tried to flatten in out with my finger, but to no avail. Still jamming.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: For example?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Printers Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: OK
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Customer: OK
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

What were the faint black marks on the paper like? if they were lengthwise and running along the length of the paper, that's one thing (and usually a problem in the inking system, or with spilled ink inside the printer); If they were just a touch here and there, that's probably paper feed rollers that are a bit dirty and need cleaning.

Where does the paper jam? the place in the printer that it happens, can be quite significant in the curing of the problem. The problem is in fact right about where the leading edge of the paper stops, almost always.

Check that area for dirt, fluff, paper scraps, etc., and clean out any that are found.

Check that you do not have a different size than "Letter" or 8.5 x 11 inch paper selected in either your software or your printer driver settings. That can cause paper jams that are spurious simply because a different size of paper is expected, but 'Letter' is what is sensed by the printer instead... which makes it think that longer or shorter paper has gotten folded or jammed otherwise, and stops it from working on that assumption.

Also try shutting the printer Off for 1 hour or more. Sometimes these errors are spurious or 'persistent' but when the printer's memory is quite cleared by a rest-reset, the error goes away.

Let me know how it goes, and more details as needed. Thanks.