Printers

Printer Repair Questions? Ask IT Technicians for Answers ASAP

Printers

Wont accept new ink

Customer Question
wont accept new ink
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Printers
12/19/2015
Technician: John, Computer Science Engineer replied 2 years ago
John, Computer Science Engineer

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer, my name is***** allow me to assist you with your question today, I will do my very best to help you solve this problem.

Are you using genuine Epson cartridges? Or generic/refilled ones?

Also, what exact error message do you get?

Thanks,

I bought the correct cartridge 200-I Epson black. I push ink replacement, replace ink, it charges ink, says complete, then says black ink empty
Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 2 years ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

There are a few possible causes of this issue, including a bad cartridge, internal debris/contamination, or a hardware failure (bad printhead, bad logic board, faulty sensor, etc).

What we can try are some cleaning and reset steps.

First remove all of the ink cartridges, then clean the metal electrical contacts on the back, as well as where they mate up inside the printer, using qtips and rubbing alcohol. Dry well, then reseat the cartridges.

Then reset the machine:
unplug power at the wall outlet
wait 5 minutes
press and hold the power/on button for 60+ seconds
keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release

Let me know the results, and I'll advise further if needed.

Tried all the above, still no black ink available

Thanks for trying.

Unfortunately this persistent error then indicates a hardware problem,

specifically, it is the result of a bad printhead (or the logic board that controls it).

The head is a "wear item" that fails with age/use. As this is a 2013 model printer, it is about at the end of its maximum 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising.

While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $150; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

Depending how you'd like to proceed, I can advise on the cleaning/reset steps if you wish to try, help with finding parts, finding a local repair shop, or recommending replacement options for you. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

my printer is only a year old, so I'll try another cartridge, and if that doesn't work, back to Target to demand a refund. I think charging me $28 for absolutely no help is rediculous, by the way. If another black ink works, thats 2x $25 plus $28= 78 dollars. next time I run out of ink, I'll just buy a new printer????

I had no way of knowing when it was purchased, but it is a 2013 production model.

This is a ~$50 printer, so in general they aren't worth investing anything in, they are basic models designed to be essentially disposable.

If it is less than a year old, then it would be under warranty and epson can replace it for you.

Target won't help outside their return policy though.

I would honestly hesitate to even buy another cartridge for it, you can put the old one back in and it should at least register, even if it shows as low, it should still be recognized.

Regarding the fee, I unfortunately have no control over the final outcome. I can only diagnose and explain the problem, and give you practical advise to resolve (ie: replacement is cheaper than repairs).

I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in an effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. This site works on the honor system, and to that end, I have prioritized working with you ahead of other paying customers.

I am only paid for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work. Again I apologize there is not a better outcome here, though this is really beyond either of our control. I do hope you’ll consider leaving a positive rating for me, rather than “shoot the messenger”, so that I may get credit for my time spent in good faith to answer your question accurately.

It does register as lo

Okay so it is detecting it at least then, so you could go ahead and try another cartridge, you should be able to exchange/return the first one which may have been faulty. That is rare with genuine ones, but does happen occasionally.

Nathan, Engineer