Printers

Printer Repair Questions? Ask IT Technicians for Answers ASAP

Printers

Have HP Photosmart C7250 all in one, have message reading

Customer Question
Customer: ***** *****, have HP...
Customer: ***** *****, have HP Photosmart C7250 all in one, have message reading "missing or damaged" ink cartridge
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: My printer wont work. It has a Ink Cartridge Problem message. It says the following ink cartridge appears to be missing or damaged.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Printers Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: ok
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Printers
12/15/2015
Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 2 years ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Are you using genuine hp inks, or generic/refilled ones?

generic, we buy them at office depot
sorry we buy HP

That is the most likely cause of the problem. Generic inks have about a 60% success rate, they wear out the printer components 3x faster than the oem inks, and they void the warranty.

If you are using generic ink, you will need to replace them all with genuine inks before we can proceed further through any other steps.

we buy HP from Office Depot

the office stores sell generic/refilled ones as well, so I wanted to be sure.

There are a few possible causes of this issue, including a bad cartridge, internal debris/contamination, or a hardware failure (bad printhead, bad logic board, faulty sensor, etc). If you are using the proper inks already, then the prognosis is not good, and chances of a hardware fault are very high.

What we can try are some cleaning and reset steps.

First remove all of the ink cartridges, then clean the metal electrical contacts on the back, as well as where they mate up inside the printer, using qtips and rubbing alcohol. Dry well, then reseat the cartridges.

Then reset the machine:
unplug power at the wall outlet
wait 5 minutes
press and hold the power/on button for 60+ seconds
keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release

Let me know the results, and I'll advise further if needed.

Its only one cartridge having a problem its the purple one

Do you have the old one you can pop in? Otherwise, you'd replace that cart with another new one,

and if that still didn't help, we'd be back to a sensor/head issue.

nothing happen it stayed off.

Press the power button to turn it back on, and let me know if the error continues.

same error message

Thanks for confirming.

Unfortunately, that means you've got a bad printhead.

As this is a 2007 model printer, it is well past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising.

While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $85; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

Depending how you'd like to proceed, I can advise on finding parts, finding a local repair shop, or recommending replacement options for you. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

--

Please note:

I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in an effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. This site works on the honor system, and to that end, I have prioritized working with you ahead of other paying customers.

I am only paid for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work. Again I apologize there is not a better outcome here, though this is really beyond either of our control. I do hope you’ll consider leaving a positive rating for me, rather than “shoot the messenger”, so that I may get credit for my time spent in good faith to answer your question accurately.

Nathan, Engineer