John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

I got a wireless brother printer J480 and cannot get it

Customer Question

Customer: i got a wireless brother printer J480 and cannot get it connected to the network properly - I have Voip Vonage and I think that is what is screwing it up but do not know how to fix
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I go through the set up process with not much issue. I had to enter the IP adress for the printer and then it recognized it. Finished set up and now I cannot print it did say printer disabled at one point as well
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Printers Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: I guess but will not pay unless you can fix
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Printers
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer, my name is***** allow me to assist you with your question today. I will do my very best to help you solve this problem.

Are you trying to use your wireless network?

Do you know the name and the password ***** your WiFi?

Thank you,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know the name and password
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I an trying to use my wireless network
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you still with me John?
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

I apologize for the delay. What's your computer's operative system?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am running OS 7
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** me a moment.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My wireless router is a motorola SURFboard extreme (if that helps)
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

On the machine's display (hereinafter called LCD), press (Settings) > All Settings > Network > WLAN > Setup Wizard.

Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

On the printer I mean

Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

When Switch Network interface to wireless? or Enable WLAN? appears, press Yes.

Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

The machine will search for your network and display a list of available SSIDs. If a list of SSIDs is displayed, press Up or Down arrow key to display the SSID to which you want to connect, and then press the SSID. (SSID = the name of your wireless network)

Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

Press OK.
Then enter the wireless network password. When you have entered all the characters, press OK and then press Yes to apply your settings.

Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

If your wireless device is connected successfully, the LCD displays Connected.

Did it work?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've already did all that... Chose the SSID, put in the password. THe printer shows it is connected....
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

perfect, now

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have VOnage... So, from my computer, there is an ethernet cale to the vonage box then a cable to the router... The printer shows a connection to the router but there is a disconnect with the computer... here lies the challenge. Understand?
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

Oh, if it is connected via WI-Fi (and it says connected, then you don't need to connect the printer to the router with the ethernet cable)

Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

Click that link and download the Full Software please, then run it

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know that BUT I cannot get the computer to recognize the PRINTER. That is the challenge. Can you help?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have the CD that came with the printer...
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

sure, the thing is if you choose the name of the SSID and entered the password ***** it says connected then please disconnect the ethernet cable

otherwise you are connecting the printer twice to the network

Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

install the CD and when asked choose Wireless (or WiFi or WLAN)

and let me know

Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

and let me know what is the next question from the CD installation

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The ethernet cable is not connected to the printer. I guess we are not communicating very well.. DO you know about Vonage and how it connects to a computer??? My highspeed internet cable connects to my router. From the router, there is an ethernet cable that goes to the vonage box and then to my COMPUTER (not printer)...So, the printer is connected to the ROUTER Wireless BUT I am trying to get my computer to recognize the Printer.DID THAT HELP?
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

Yes, thank you. I have installed several printers with your same setup.

Please install the CD and when asked choose Wireless (or WiFi or WLAN)

and let me know the next question from the installer.

Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

Or we can start a remote session so I can see and "drive" your computer, for no additional charges.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
After choosing wifi, it tries to find the hardware but cannot so then it asks to either set up with or without USB cable
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

do you have a USB cable? If you do please connect it and then choose with USB cable (then we will remove it at the end)

Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

please keep me posted

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do. I connected via USB and it found the hardware, it then looks for wireless network and finds the ssid and now the password ***** which I am now entering
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

OK, perfect, did it accept the password?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The next screen shows IP Address as "Auto" - Communication Mode as Infrastructure and then my SSID Name - SO I click Next... then it comes to a screen that says disconnect USB cable which I just did and the "next" button continues to stay greyed out and I cannot click on it. The only button I can click on is cancel... I do not get it...
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

after you choose the SSID name, do you get prompted to enter your password?

Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

Can we do a remote session?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It does ask for the password. I guess we can do remote
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

OK, please run teamviewer from here <=====

And let me know the ID and password ***** will see there

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ID is###-##-#### Password 7335
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. Please give me a moment