Joel Kalman
Joel Kalman, Engineer
Experience:  I am an MIT graduate with a Master of Science degree in Electrical Engineering from UC Berkeley.
76287196

I cannot get my printer DCP-J525W to scan to my computer

Customer Question

Category: Printers
Expert:  Joel Kalman replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** OI can help you with your problem. What is your computer operating system?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Windows 10

Is your printer/scanner connected to your network wirelessly? It is common for the wireless connection between scanner and computer o be lost from time to time. The remedy is to reinstall the printer drivers. Have you tried that yet?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I haven't tried to reinstall the drivers. I had it connected through WiFi but when it didn't work I have now plugged it directly into my computer with a usb cord.

You cannot change the connection method without reinstalling the drivers. Please disconnect the usb cable and we will reinstall the drivers now.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay have done that.

Is your Windows 10 operating system 64-bit or 32-bit?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think 64-bit. How do I find this out.

If you can find your My PC icon on your desktop, you can highlight it and right-click on it to open the properties window.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is a 64-bit

The way to guarantee a clean installation is to uninstall all the Brother software. This is not always necessary, but it is best to start this way.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay I am happy with that.

Go to your Windows Control Panel - Hardware & Sound - View Devices and Printers and delete the printer, scanner, and fax icons.

Then back out of the printer screen and go to

Programs - Uninstall A Program and uninstall all Brother DCP-J525W software. Be very careful not to unintentionally uninstall anything else while you are scrolling to the desired items.

Please let me know when you have done this, and i will send you a link to download the latest drivers from the official Brother website. It is better to do the installation online than to use the software that came with your printer on a cd, because that way you are assured of getting the latest updates and bug fixes, and it is also more convenient.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It doesn't seem to be in the program list since I removed it from printers and devices.

That is really unusual. Alright, Brother has an uninstall tool. Let's use that.

Select this link and scroll down to the Uninstall Tool, the second item under Utilities:

http://support.brother.com/g/b/downloadlist.aspx?c=eu_ot&lang=en&prod=dcpj525w_eu_as&os=10013

Brother has a unique way of uninstalling its software. You won't need to do this each time your scanner loses its connection. You can just select Add Printer after deleting the icons, and the operating system will find the drivers stored on your hard drive.

After you complete the Uninstall, use the same link and select the Full Driver & Software Package, the first item on the Windows 10 64-bit webpage. I'll give you the link again:

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am have a bit of trouble Joel. When I try to run the download its says do I want to decompress the file. When I try and do this it says it cannot do it.

I got it. Please standby while I try it on my pc...

Try it again. Download and select Run. Then browse for the Download file to decompress it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
okay all good now

Progress report?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is still uninstalling - should it take this long

It is probably okay. Give it a few more minutes.

Okay. What's happening now?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is still uninstalling

Can you stop it? Is there an active Cancel button?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Go for it!

How about now?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
okay so it is still running across the screen. Should I click on the close X.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No don't seem to be able to close it either. It is saying cancelled.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry Joel I am going to have to go. I will endeavour to download the driver and see how I go. Thank you for your help.

Can we pick this up tomorrow?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we can try again tomorrow afternoon, about 4pm.

What time is it there now?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I am in Queensland. It is 6.00 pm.

Your time zone is QNS=PST-6. So PST=QNS+6. 4 pm your time is 10 pm my time in Los Angeles. Okay. Talk to you then. Sorry about the technical difficulties. We will get past them tomorrow.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Joel, just letting you know I have fixed the problem with my printer. I must say that the service provided was very unsatisfactory. The fact that I was on here for three and a half hours was far too long. Most of the time I was waiting for an answer from you. Never new you were in Los Angeles until the end our session. I am assuming this is why it took so long each time for you to get back to me. Alternatively maybe you were attending to other people at the same time. Any way thanks for your help, no problems with you personally, just the constant waiting.

I am glad that you have solved your problem, and I am sorry that you were unhappy with the service, due to the wait time. Apparently, there was no one online to take your question when you first submitted it. I do this part time, and I will have to spend more time at it, so that customers will not have to wait. I have reviewed our transcript, and once we began our work together, it was interactive with replies and responses within a couple of minutes. The time difference does not make any difference, since I work all hours, whenever I can. I was online the next day after our session at 4pm Queensland time, which is the time we agreed upon. The time difference does not matter, because I work all hours, whenever I can.

I apologize for the difficulty that we had with the Brother uninstall software. In the future, I would avoid that. If the link to the actual printer driver that I sent you worked for you and IU have helped you solve your problem, I would appreciate a positive rating, so that I can get compensated for my services. Thank you for choosing Just Answer.