Michelle
Michelle, Printer Expert
Experience:  B.Sc. Computer Science with Honors
26798893

I'm using printer Dell 1235cn and i'm having

Customer Question

hi, i'm using printer Dell 1235cn and i'm having streaking/ghosting issues. I tried to print on a cardstock paper intended to be printed on for greeting cards and i got a paper jam error. i inspected the printer and couldn't find the jam, so i printed again and it spit the paper out with the image faded badly and "ghosting" down the page. now whenever i print on regular printer paper, it smears ink all down the page. not a huge amount of ink, but it's acting like there's leftover ink on a roller somewhere that's transferring onto new prints. i have tried searching how to clean rollers or other parts that would cause this problem but i'm not finding the information i need. do you have any suggestions for me?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be the expert working with you today to help and resolve the problem you have posted.

If a vertical white streak or faded area appears on the page:

•The toner supply is low. You may be able to temporarily extend the toner cartridge life. See "Replacing the toner cartridge". If this does not improve the print quality, install a new toner cartridge.

• The paper may not meet paper specifications; for example, the paper is too moist or too rough. See "Selecting print media" on page 24.

• If the entire page is light, the print resolution setting is too low. Adjust the print resolution. See the help screen of the printer driver.

• A combination of faded or smeared defects may indicate that the toner cartridge needs cleaning.

• The surface of the LSU part inside the printer may be dirty. Clean the LSU, or the printer need a service contact a service representative.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks for the response but i don't feel like that addresses my issue. here is an example of the smearing i'm experiencing
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

If black vertical streaks appear on the page:

• The drum inside the toner cartridge has probably been scratched. Remove the toner cartridge and install a new one. Replace the toner cartridge. If white vertical streaks appear on the page:

• The surface of the LSU part inside the printer may be dirty. Clean the LSU.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can you see the .jpg attached?
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

can you take a picture of the printout and post it here.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there aren't blank vertical streaks
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

Thanks.

Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

remove the papers and check if the papers are not moist.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i removed the papers and they are not moist. i replaced them with new papers directly from the package and it's still printing with the same smears
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

we will have to print a test page from the printer driver software. Can you tell me what windows os you have on the computer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
windows 7 professional
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

click on start select devices and printers right click on the dell printer and select printer properties, let me know once you are there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok i'm there
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

click on test print and let me know if it prints fine on test print.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this is the test print page
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

remove the toners and let me know once all of them are out.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok they are out
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

how many toners are there?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
4. yellow, magenta, cyan, black
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

check all the toners one by one at the bottom there will be a photo sensitive plastic sheet which draws ink toner on it they must be clean and dry and no scratch marks or dull it should be. you may use your thumb to roll the roller to roll the sheet to check for any damage.

Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

let me know if the toners look fine.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are you wanting me to wipe down the plastic piece under the roller?
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

clean the colored drum using a dry lint free cloth for all the toners.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what is the colored drum? the pink roller?
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

yes

Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

check the fuser roller drum as well for any damage on the roller

CAUTION: fuser drum are very hot unplug the power cable and let it sit for 15 mins to cool down.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
okay i cleaned the colored drum on all toners. i'm waiting for the printer to cool down now. where is the fuser roller drum?
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

Fuser assembly must be located at the back of the printer as the paper gets into into it gets fused and then comes out from the exit feeder.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
everything in the back looks fine from what i can tell. do i put the toners back in and print another test page?
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

yes please go ahead and try to print a test page from the printer drivers window.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that didn't fix the problem. you can still see the pink smearing under the title and throughout the text at the bottom of the page
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

looks quite improved.

Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

give me a moment ..let me check

it seems to be an issue with fuser assembly rollers

let me check the specs and i will let you know

give me few mins here

Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

can you have a look at the fuser assmebly rollers at the back of the printer..clean them and the try printing a test page

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i tried that and it's still printing the same
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks for your help michelle but i give up at this point..... i guess i'll take my files somewhere to be printed and i'll look into buying a new printer. i'm too frustrated to deal with it any longer
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

i believe you were not able to look at the fuser roller 360 degree to check if it has any smudge or wrinkle on it however most probably the problem appears due to fuser smudge.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i rotated the roller completely and did not see a smudge
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

thats good however if there is no smudge on the roller then the culprit is one of the toner which needs to be identified and there is no other reason for the bad quality print apart from these two things its either the toner or the fuser.

Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

The color toner would need to be replaced to fix this issue

Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

I hope I've provided the information you were seeking. If you have any question feel free to ask. Please provide a rating by clicking on the smiley face below or stars on top right of the page and hit submit. Please don't rate negatively Instead reply me so that i can continue to help you answer you question further