Viet - Printer Tech
Viet - Printer Tech, Printer Technician
Experience:  Troubleshoot printers, scanners, etc.
30037186

MFC-8810DW "printer offline" fix?

Customer Question

MFC-8810DW "printer offline" fix?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Viet - Printer Tech replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry about the issue. Is the printer connected to the computer with a USB cable? Or is the connection wireless?

Are you still able to make a copy from the printer's glass (not print from the computer)?

Do you have windows xp, vista, or 7, or 8, 10, or mac computer?

Please reply at the box below. Thank you,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Trying to connect wirelesslyWIN 10printer will make copy from glass

Was this printer working previously on this Windows 10 computer? Or is this the first time you are trying to set up the printer to work wirelessly on this windows 10 computer?

What is the brand/model of your Internet/wireless modem/router device?

Are you able to go to the Network / wireless menu on the printer's screen and connect it to your wi-fi/wireless network name?

Please reply at the box below. Thank you.

On the printer, you would press the Menu button, then use Up/Down buttons to select option Network, then option WLAN, then option Setup Wizard, then select / connect to your wi-fi/wireless network name. Let me know if that is successful or not. Then I will let you know the next step if it still does not print.

When you are available, please reply at the box below to continue troubleshooting. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have previously used the printer from the same WIN 10 computer.Am able to use the printer over the wireless network from a Mac that has network accessHowever the Win 10 computer cannot detect the printerAnother computer running Win 7 can also use the printerBut the Win 10 computer believes the printer is "offline", but it is clearly notThe problem seems to with this specific computer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Actually, the Win 10 computer can detect the printer, but believes it is "offline".

Thank you for confirming the issue is only with the Win 10 computer as other computers are currently able to print to this printer. Make sure either the Mac computer or the Windows 7 computer is currently able to print.

Please try a possible fix below on the Win 10 computer:

1. Make sure printer is powered.
  2. Right-click on the Start button (which is the Windows logo icon at the bottom left of the computer's screen), then click on Control Panel.
  3. Then open Hardware and Sound / Devices and Printers.
  4. Then right-click on the Brother printer there, and remove it for now. (Make sure there is no Brother item showing for now.)
  5. Click on the option Add a printer at the top.
  6. Then see if it detects your Brother wireless printer; if yes, then add it.
  7. Then check printing.

Please reply at the box below to continue troubleshooting. Thank you.

Are you able to delete the printer?

When you click on the option Add a printer at the top in Devices and Printers, does it detect your wireless Brother printer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I deleted the printer and executed the newly downloaded driver package for the printer it apparently made changes to the network that are now preventing the other computers from using the printer.

I'm sorry that is strange; it should not affect other other computers if you did not connect the printer to the computer with a USB cable, and you did not do anything on the printer device.

From my steps, the computer should install the printer driver automatically; you did not need to download or install any printer driver package; did you download / install any printer driver package yourself?

Is the windows 10 computer currently able to print via wireless or not?

If you'd like to, I can connect remotely to your computer, so that I can fix this issue quickly for you. Please reply at the box below. Thank you.

It looks like you are not there. When you are available, please try the following:

1. Disconnect the power cord(s) from your internet/wireless modem/router device(s) for about 5 minutes, then reconnect.

2. Turn off printer, then disconnect power cord from printer for a couple of minutes, then re-connect, then turn on.

3. Wait a bit, then see if you can print from the Mac computer or Win 7 computer.

4. If it does not print, then please do the following on the printer device: Press the Menu button, then use Up/Down buttons to select option Network, then press OK button

, then select option WLAN, then option Setup Wizard

, then select / connect to your wi-fi/wireless network name

; if it connects to your wireless network name successfully, then you should be able to print from the Mac computer and the Win 7 computer again.

; then see if you can print from the Win 10 computer; if needed, in Devices and Printers in Control Panel in Win 10 computer, remove the Brother item there, then click on Add a printer and see if it detects your wireless Brother printer, then add it, then check printing.