Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of IT and customer support experience
15852642

I have an Epson Aculaser C3000 printer, that regularly jams

Customer Question

I have an Epson Aculaser C3000 printer, that regularly jams about every 4 pages.
When doing so, one paper remains half-ejected, and the next page remains in the printer, and has about 5 cm printed (not fixed) from the top of the page.
I have updated to the newest driver, but the problem remains.
Category: Printers
Expert:  WesPCDr replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I will be glad to help with the issue.

Expert:  WesPCDr replied 1 year ago.

Sometimes the rollers become dirty and cause the paper to slip. This can cause the paper not to pick up or even cause a paper jam because the sensors do not see the paper pass in a certain amount of time.

To fix the problem, unplug the printer power cable. Open the covers and remove any cartridges and look for loose paper. Use tweezers to pull the paper out or the eraser end of a pencil to move the rollers and get to the paper. Then use a damp paper towel with water or Windex and clean the rollers. Start where the paper touches the printer and look for white, gray, and black rollers. Use your fingers to move the rollers as much as you can to clean them. Open the printer and clean the other rollers you can find as well.

Open each cover front, top, and back of the printer and look for pieces of paper in the rollers. Move the rollers with your fingers to clean and move any loose paper out as well.

Then plug the printer power back in try to print.

Expert:  WesPCDr replied 1 year ago.

Let me know how that worked for you. Thank you for using our service.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, and what do you suggest ?
Expert:  WesPCDr replied 1 year ago.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, now all rollers I could find are cleaned, but it caused another problem: Now the printer doesn't recognize the Photoconductor Unit. Even when I switched to a new one.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you still there ?
Expert:  WesPCDr replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for the delay. Try to clean the connections (metal electrical contacts) inside the printer where the Photoconductor sit inside the printer.

Make sure the printer is unplugged first

Expert:  WesPCDr replied 1 year ago.

Then let me know. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There are no electrical contacts for the Photoconductor Unit in the printer.
Expert:  WesPCDr replied 1 year ago.

I will open the question so other experts can help.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is***** do not rate until we are finished. I look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem. Can you give me the exact and entire error it is showing now please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The current error is: "Install Photoconductr".
I have installed a new Photoconductor Unit, but the error remains.The original problem was that the printer regularly jams about every 4 pages. When doing so, one paper remains half-ejected, and the next page remains in the printer, and has about 5 cm printed (not fixed) from the top of the page.
I have cleaned all rolls inside the printer, but having done so, the above message appeared.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.

I am not sure why you were given paper jam removal steps for your original issue. Your original issue actually sounded like a failing fuser. This one however is different and could be a board failure. Did you clean inside the machine around it before inserting the new photo conductor?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have cleaned the inside of the printer.
After power-on, the Self-Test proceeds ok, until display says "Ready". Then, after about 1-2 seconds, the error message "Install Photocondctr" occurs.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.

Is the new one a genuine Epson part and not a compatible? Compatible parts will cause this error. If it is a genuine Epson, how old is the printer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's a genuine Epson. Purchase date Apr 11, 2005.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately from what you are telling me it sounds like you have a board failure and at that age even if you had an extended warranty it would no longer be covered. Normally when this happens with multiple parts being swapped out, the machine being cleaning, and another issue happening like the fuser problem you had originally it means the logic board has failed and needs to be replaced. It is sometimes called a main board by some technicians as well.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is it possible that the new Photoconductor Unit is defect, and this causes the error ?
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.

If you only had the new issue yes that would be possible however you original problem you described is normally caused by the fuser, both makes it more likely to be a board failure. If you still have the old Photo conductor put it back in the machine and see if it detects it or not. If it does not it would definitely be the board, if it does detect it then the new one is defective. In which case print a blank page but before removing the jam let me know exactly where it jammed.