Printers

Printer Repair Questions? Ask IT Technicians for Answers ASAP

Printers

Printer details are Epsom Stylus Photo TX 810FW The problem

Customer Question
Printer details are Epsom Stylus...
Printer details are Epsom Stylus Photo TX 810FW
The problem is I'm trying to scan a page through the ADF but the page gets less than 1/3 of the way through before it jams.....I've cleaned the rollers as best I can but it gets stuck every time.
I hope you can help,
Cheers
Paul
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Printers
11/19/2015
Technician: Russell H., Printer and Office Tech replied 2 years ago
Russell H., Printer and Office Tech

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Does the page crumple when it gets stuck? or does it just stop short with an error message?

Cleaning the rollers can be done in an innovative way: take a piece of clean good-quality rag cloth, not lint-shedding cloth, and cut it into an 8-by-several inches or 1/2 a foot, roughtly, rectangle.

Moisten that in rubbing alcohol solution, and, holding two corners, feed the 8-inch side into the ADF as if it were a sheet of paper, but hold it back, so that the rollers rub against it. They should rub off their dirt/grease accumulation that way. Once the jam signal sounds, you can stop holding the cloth back, and then release the rollers' grip on it and remove it. This way, hard-to-reach rollers can be cleaned.

See if that helps.

(If not: where does the jam occur, or where does the paper's leading edge stop? in the ADF.)

(And: how old is the Epson printer in question ? measured from date of purchase.)

Thanks Russell....I'll try that... about 2 - 3 inches of the leading edge of the paper rolls into the 6 rollers before it stops.......the rest of the page remains in the ADF.........the machine screeches before stopping.Does this help ?Cheers
Paul

Does the machine screech when the cloth I mentioned is fed into it, instead of paper?

Is the ADF lid thoroughly shut and all covers closed? if they weren't, some workings/gears might be out of mesh and cause the screeching.

Thanks Russell...this "rubbing alcohol solution"....what is that?...is it something I buy........if you can give me some details, I can do as you suggest and let you know how I go,Thanks
Paul

Rubbing alcohol is sold commonly in drugstores (or the pharmacy section of a supermarket) in a 5 or 6-inch bottle. Choose one that has no scent in it (denatured is OK, of course, but mint is shall we say, irrelevant and might just possibly be bad for the purpose.)

It is used in this case, as a solvent, dissolving greases or oils that form on a rubber roller with time and use.

Let me know how it goes, at your convenience, Paul. Thanks.

OK, thanks Russell.....I'll get onto it and let you know how I go.Cheers
Paul

OK.

Hi Russell,We tried the rubbing alcohol solution but it didn't work.....The paper gets gets through the ADF about 1/3 of the page connects rolls underneath the 6 rollers, locks in but then jams.......it takes a bit of careful strength to pull the paper out of the jam.Before this jamming started, the sound of the scanner was starting to labour, and although working, it didn't sound good so I thought something may be wrong. .......The printer is working perfectly both printing from the computer and manual printing.Thanks Russell....look forward to hearing from you.Regards
Paul

It sounds to me as if you have a 'broken' ADF, unfortunately, that may require repair-servicing.

Try one more thing: if possible, try pushing a sheet of shirt cardboard into the ADF (-with the power Off!) and see if you can feel an obstruction in the document path into the ADF, of any sort. That may at least help diagnose the problem... if it is caused by a part out of place, or debris, that is causing paper stoppage.

OK, thanks Russell....I'll try that tonight when I'm back home..Many thanks
Paul

OK. Let me know at your convenience. Thanks.

Russell H., Printer and Office Tech