Printers

Printer Repair Questions? Ask IT Technicians for Answers ASAP

Printers

I'm trying to resolve Error code 5010 on my Canon Pixma

Customer Question
Hi Bernie, I'm Margaret, and...
Hi Bernie, I'm Margaret, and I'm trying to resolve Error code 5010 on my Canon Pixma MP600 printer and so far have n success. I've tried turning the power cord and computer cable off and restarting it, but no luck! Suggestions?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Printers
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/17/2015
Technician: Freddy M., Technician replied 2 years ago
Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician

Hello my name is***** do not rate until we are finished. I look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem. Is it the same number 5010 every time and not 5100?

always 5010.

I can not see the thread you read with Bernie, what have you tried? Or was just disconnecting and reconnecting the cables all you have done so far?

Just disconnecting cables and power cord then reconnecting; also turning off/on button and holding for a few seconds. There no paper stuck in the printer. If it's the scanner function that's not functioning, I don't even use that function; I only use the 'copy' function. But, of course, nothing's working now.

5010 is a scanner error and the scanner is actually used when you make a copy. It is normally caused by a wire issue. Are you somewhat handy? We will need to take part of the machine apart to try and fix this. You can not bypass this error.

I'm , as you say, 'somewhat' handy.

Ok good, if you get stuck let me know, as long as you go slow you should be ok.

On the left part of the printer - there are 3 screws, 1 hidden by the gray plastic mask and two others in the back.

Remove these, the panel should come off after that but you will need force it a little, not to hard though as you do not want to break anything it should be clipped on with plastic clips.

Let me know once you have done that.

The left side in the back?

The left part of the printer itself. So if you are looking at either the front the left side, looking at the back the right side.

the hidden one?? where?
ok, I've got it partially off

ok is it stuck?

it's stuck, but maybe because the 3 screws I undid did not include the 'hidden' one? All were visible..
Describe, please, the grey plastic 'mask'.

It usually looks like a square tab. You can usually see an outline of it.

inside or outside the printer?

It should be outside of the printer.

The back and side portions are loose, it's the front left corner portion that's stuck and I don't see any other screw to undo..
no small plastic tabs that i can see...

That is odd there should be one hidden under a tab like that. Use a flashlight and try looking on the other side under the plastic you can lift, that may be able to help you find where the screw is.

does the part that comes off wrap right around to the front? maybe I've got the wrong part?

It is a plastic panel on the left side of the printer it should not wrap around, though it should have a slight lip for both the back and front.

ok.... on the left side when viewed from the front, right?

yes

if you don't have a diagram of this, why are you so sure there's another screw here ? where is a diagram that we can use?

There is no diagram as I mentioned before, and I am sure because I have done it before many times. I work on these machines both on and off this site. I will opt out and open this to all others for you.

Thank you. Sorry it didn't work out. Have a great day.
John, Computer Science Engineer