Joel Kalman
Joel Kalman, Engineer
Experience:  I am an MIT graduate with a Master of Science degree in Electrical Engineering from UC Berkeley.
76287196

I have a Canon MG 7520 printer attached to my iMac intel

Customer Question

I have a Canon MG 7520 printer attached to my iMac intel desktop computer. They are connected via USB. It has been working fine for months.
PROBLEM: when I printed out a document, the printer did not print one of the fonts (Zapf Chancery) and printed blank rectangles instead. It has never done this before.
I have not changed anything on my computer setup recently.
Thank you for your help.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Joel Kalman replied 1 year ago.

Sometimes software can become corrupted spontaneously. What software were you using to print this font?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi. I am an MIT grad also (ScD '72). I am using Apple Pages 4.1 which I use often.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Hi. I would suggest that the best thing you can do is to delete your printer icon, reset printers by using the function key when selecting the add printer button, and then download the latest drivers.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could you explain "reset printers by using the function key when selecting the add printer button"? What function key. What add printer button. Note: I am using a Mac. Thank you.

Sorry for being vague. I do not have an Apple Mac, so I am doing this from memory. Use your Finder icon to open the Printers window, where you will highlight and delete your printer icon. There should be an Add Printer link with a + sign in front of it on the upper left area of the printer window. There is a key on the Mac keyboard which is a meta-key. I cannot remember what it is called: the Apple key or the Mac key, or the Fn key. Holding this key down while selecting the +Add Printer link resets the printing function on a Mac. It is an undocumented feature.

Sorry. I just looked it up on the internet. It is the Option Key and the Remove Printer button. PLEASE DISREGARD THE PREVIOUS DIRECTIONS.

WHAT IS YOUR MAC OPERATING SYSTEM? I WILL SEND YOU THE LINK TO THE CANON WEBSITE WHERE YOU CAN DOWNLOAD THE DRIVERS FOR YOUR OS.

IF YOU HAVE ONE OF THE NEWER MAC OPERATING SYSTEMS, THESE DRIVERS WILL WORK FOR YOU. YOU CAN SELECT ANOTHER OS ON THIS PAGE IF NECESSARY.

http://tinyurl.com/pcwqdyc

The above link will take you to an official canon web page that will automatically detect your operating system.

When you download it, it will automatically detect your printer and begin installing the new drivers.

I found these articles which explain how to deal with your fonts directly, just in case reinstalling your print drivers did not take care of the problem:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5381235?tstart=0

http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20110105044938512

I was wondering if you have recently upgraded your OS, because this can affect the fonts on a Mac.

Hello again,

Ii was good chatting with you the other day. What field did you get your doctorate from at MIT? I was wondering if my answers helped. I probably should had gone directly to the fonts instead of updating your printer drivers. I would appreciate it if you would rate the service that I have provided. I am doing this to supplement my limited retirement income. I ONLY GET COMPENSATED WHEN I RECEIVE A POSITIVE RATING. Thank you,

Joel