Printers

Printer Repair Questions? Ask IT Technicians for Answers ASAP

Printers

RE: my Canon printer pima ix6820, I replaced a cartridge.

Customer Question
The light went on at...
RE: my Canon printer pima ix6820, I replaced a cartridge. The light went on at the cartridge location, but the reset button below the power button keeps blinking. I pressed it for 10 seconds but no change. The error message 1411 says the ink still needs replacing, but it doesn't.
On my computer, the error message says the printer is busy.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Printers
11/15/2015
Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 2 years ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Are you using genuine canon inks, or generic/refilled ones?

Genuine canon inks

There are a few possible causes of this issue, including a bad cartridge, internal debris/contamination, or a hardware failure (bad printhead, bad logic board, faulty sensor, etc).

What we can try are some cleaning and reset steps.

First remove all of the ink cartridges, then clean the metal electrical contacts on the back, as well as where they mate up inside the printer, using qtips and rubbing alcohol. Dry well, then reseat the cartridges.

Then reset the machine:
unplug power at the wall outlet
wait 5 minutes
press and hold the power/on button for 60+ seconds
keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release

Let me know the results, and I'll advise further if needed.

No change. I also tried another new cartridge.
The light at the cartridge goes out after I close the lid.

Thank you for confirming.

Unfortunately, the persistence of the error at this point means that the printhead is bad.

The head is a wear item that does fail with age/use, especially if in a high volume environment.

If you've had the printer less than a year then canon would replace it for you under warranty.
Once beyond the warranty, it simply isn't worth fixing - if you've reached the point that you've burned up a head, then other wear components such as the feed rollers and purge/absorber system will be at the end of their life as well. A new head is about $110, which isn't worth it when you can buy a brand new printer with a fresh warranty for $150 or less.

I can recommend some better quality replacement models for you if needed, provide contact info for canon warranty support. or help with finding parts, whatever you prefer.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Nathan, Engineer