Russell H., Printer and Office Tech
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
13568747

My samsung c460 printer indicates "printer bin is full" ...

Customer Question

my samsung c460 printer indicates "printer bin is full" ... and. the printer LED indicates "scan unit open or exit jam."
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

That error message indicates that paper is jammed (or, at least, detected as jammed) in the scanner, somewhere.

Open the scanner (on top of the printer) up, and examine all hatches, areas, feed spaces, etc. Remove any paper or extraneous material found there, note if there are any broken bits or other unusual things.

Close the scanner back to normal condition. Try to get the printer Online again, by pressing buttons, or by trying to run a photocopy of one sheet. And see if it goes back to fully workable condition.

Let me know how it goes, please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You responded to my question regarding, "Scan unit open or Exit jam." I checked for jammed paper as you suggested and I tried to photo copy one page - error message. Next step?Also, this printer is indicated as Offline and I am unable to bring it online.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

The other possible location for an Exit Jam, would be the interior of the printer near the place where the paper printed up, exits from the printer into the output tray. Examine that location also.

And then try a hard reset:

- while the printer is On, unplug it from the power, sharply and suddenly.

- then leave it that way, for 1 hour or longer.

- turn it Off at the end of that period, then plug in to the power again. Turn it On, see if the error message is cleared.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I open this Samsung C460 "near where the paper" exited from the printer?
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Admittedly that area is not easy and obvious to reach.

For guidance, try using the Smart Panel program on your computer, the Troubleshooting Guide section.

Also, try opening the printer by lifting the scanner top and looking down into the printer.

Also, try opening the front of the printer as if replacing cartridges - the cartridge(s) necessarily are part of the print engine, and the print engine is what the paper printed upon passes through to the paper exit tray.

The area to examine may be in the upper rear of the printer's print engine.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I found the paper jam and I can print via cable. Thank you.Next problem - when I installed Windows 10 and subsequently chatted the issue with the Samsung Help staff, I lost the ability to print via wireless. I had this capacity from the time I installed the printer until I installed Windows 10. How may I re-enable the capacity to print wireless?
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

I'm glad to hear that my advice enabled you to get to printing capability again.

As for wireless - that is a different issue. But I can deal with it in this question too, provided I will get credit for having solved one problem already.

I think we may be able to get wireless capability working too - provided that Epson has indeed provided or programmed and posted for use, a driver for Windows 10 that covers network access. Let me check for that - but first, please tell me, is your Windows 10 the 32-bit kind, or the 64-bit system type?

That can be determined by going to

Control Panel - System and Security - System

and looking for the 'System Type' entry, which is either 32-bit or 64-bit.

Let me know, please. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have the 64-bit version.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Thanks.

I will need to know the exact model # ***** your printer also - is it C460W, or C460FW, or some other model #? according to the label on the back of the printer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The printer is a C460FW.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

First, disconnect the printer, turn it off and unplug it from the power. Leave it that way throughout the following, until you are instructed to connect it up again by the installation software routine (or, at least, by that routine having completely ended and finished and exited etc.)

So: turn off, unplug, unplug your printer.

Go to your computer, to Control Panel - Devices and Printers, and remove all entries for your Samsung printer and its series, by clicking on each of its icons (or entries) and deleting.

Then go to Control Panel, Programs and Features, and use Uninstall (or Remove or Change/Remove) to get rid of all programs specific to your Samsung printer.

Then, reboot your computer: shut it down and start it up again.

Then, go to

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/SL-C460FW/XAA

and click on the Download rectangle for

Universal Print Driver 3 XPS (Driver) [etc.]

and wait for the download to complete and Save To file on your hard disk. Then locate the downloaded installer file, double-click on it to start the install routine, and install the drivers etc.

That should do it. If there is any problem at any point, feel free to stop short and Reply to me and I'll try to help you through the difficulty.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have down loaded the software as you instructed. I am on the Samsung Printer Installation screen. I am connected to the printer via cable because I could not connect via wireless. The error messages are:. Connection failure - IP address not assigned
. The access point could not assign the printer an IP address.I have done the following per instructions on the screen:. restarted the access point (router)
. rebooted the printerNo luck so far. Next steps??
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Do you know the IP Address of the Epson printer? or, how it was, formerly, assigned (by a static IP address independent of the router's assignments, or by DHCP from the router) ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know; and, the printer in question is a Samsung C460FW. Did you direct me to the wrong software download?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I re-downloaded the printer drivers from the web site you listed above. It seemed to proceed very smoothly to installation and then has been hung up at 33% completed for the last hour or so. Suggestions?
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Let me defend my recommendation to you carefully:

- before I recommended a driver to you, you stated your printer was the

C460

and so I assumed it was the C460FW. If that was wrong, please tell me what the full and complete and correct model # ***** your Samsung printer, as shown by the manufacturer's label, actually is.

It seemed to proceed very smoothly to installation and then has been hung up at 33% completed for the last hour or so.

That suggests either a corrupted download, or a problem on your PC, unfortunately.

Did the first download-and-install go farther? if so, restart your machine and try the install again.