Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

I want to set my iPad to print on my Pixma MX420

Customer Question

Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

The short answer here is that you cannot, at least not directly.

You have an older/discontinued (and no longer supported, past its service life) 2011 model printer.

It does not support air-print capability.

There are some possible workaround options, but they can be complicated and involved:
You can connect the printer via usb to an apple router

Or you can connect the printer to a pc that is always on, then install a sharing service to it like google cloud print and put the corresponding app on the ipad. This will give limited functionality for printing photos and documents primarily.

Given the age of the printer however, and as it is already past its designed maximum 3 year service life, I would not consider much investment in it practical at this point. It is likely to fail and need to be replaced in the near future anyway, so it may make more sense to simply replace the printer with an appropriate airprint compatible model at this stage.

I can explain more about the above options or recommend replacements for you, if you'd like.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in a good faith effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. I am only paid for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work. Again I apologize there is not a better outcome here, though this is really beyond either of our control. I do hope you’ll consider leaving a positive rating for me, rather than “shoot the messenger”, so that I may get credit for my time spent in good faith to answer your question accurately.