Russell H., Printer and Office Tech
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
13568747

Are there fuses in a Canon MX860 all in one printer?

Customer Question

Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Do you mean a customer-accessible fuse?

If there were one (I don't know specifically) it would be under either

- a rectangular, clear-plastic cover

or

- a circular, black plastic cover with a slot in it for a screwdriver

and would be near the place where the power goes into the machine.

Placing a main power fuse anywhere else would not make much sense.

However, I suspect that there is no such fuse. So if your printer is 'dead' - no lights, no response to the power switch - I suggest that you

A. turn it Off with the power switch.

B. check that the power cord / power adapter goes into the machine OK

C. if it has a power adapter, check the power light on the AC Adapter

D. switch the power cord to another outlet altogether (in case the outlet has a problem, which can and does happen), whether the printer is plugged into the wall, or into an outlet on a surge protector.

(E. and if it is plugged into a surge protector - which is good practice in the long run - plug it into a wall outlet, for a test and just to eliminate the surge protector as the cause of the fault.)

F. Then, after about 10 minutes Off, turn it On again. Listen carefully for any reaction to being turned On, look carefully for lights/indications.

Let me know the result, and/or more about the problem. And, how old your printer is, please. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This was caused by dirty connections on the power cord contacts in the printer. Problem is solved for now. Sorry but your answer was not appropriate in this instance. Still it was worth the $5 that made me take a closer look at the problem.
Regards, Niles
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

I am glad to hear that a solution was reached, that allows you to continue using the printer. I think that my advice in steps (B) and (D), if not the others too, was apposite and helpful in that case.

Please rate my Answer, so that this case may be closed. Thanks.