Sudipto, Engineer
Experience:  DIploma in Computer Hardware
15197395

I have a canon mx300. paper jammed and I removed it but the

Customer Question

I have a canon mx300. paper jammed and I removed it but the alarm light still is on so will not work
Category: Printers
Expert:  Sudipto replied 2 years ago.

This can also happen, if the sensor was damaged or the cartridges are jammed. Please open the printer cover and let me know, if the cartridges can move to the center or not , automatically ?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
cartridge moves, alarm still on
Expert:  Sudipto replied 2 years ago.

Can you tell me, how did you remove the jammed paper from the printer, like pulling it from the front etc. ?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
pulled from the back,
Expert:  Sudipto replied 2 years ago.

OK. please remove the papers from the printer and then check the paper path with a flasj light and let me know, if you see anything loose or hanging or broken etc.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
checked nothing hanging or appear broken
Expert:  Sudipto replied 2 years ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** unplug the printer and this time wait for 10 mins, before reconnecting the cable and let me know the result.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
left it unplugged for 7 hours today and still same light
Expert:  Sudipto replied 2 years ago.

Oh! thanks for the information. As you said that, you remove the paper from the back, do you mean from the rear tray ?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
from the paper feed
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
sorry but you have not helped, please do not bill more than the original $5
Expert:  Sudipto replied 2 years ago.

Thanks. See, this problem can happen due to three reasons, if there is any paper jam in real, if the cartridges are jammed or if the sensor is defective. As you have removed the jammed paper from the printer and the cartridges can move freely, it means the problem is with the sensor. This is not a rear problem, specially with Canon printers. It seems the sensor was damaged due to the paper jam and that is why the printer is still showing the error instead of removing the jammed paper from the printer.

This problem can be repaired at home with the help of a service manual, but the main problem is that , you will not get a replacement sensor in any shop, as they are only available in repair shops and they do not sell it separately. So, the final solution for this problem is repairing the printer.

But, honestly speaking, if the printer is more than 3 years old then, I will recommend you to replace the printer. Now, you have to decide, what you want to do,let me know if you want any further information, otherwise please rememeber to give postive rating below, as that is the only way I am compensated for my time and effort.