Russell H., Printer and Office Tech
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
13568747

Printer message is there is a problem with the printer or

Customer Question

Printer message is there is a problem with the printer or ink system.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Please tell me what the full and exact text of the error message was, so that I can judge as to what is wrong.

Please also tell me whether the error is persistent or transient. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is a problem with the printer or ink system. Turn printer off and then on. If problem persists contact HP. This is the complete message.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It just did it once now and will not do anything more.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Is it 'dead' now? or is it simply working with no error message?

If it is 'dead' I will continue to advise you.

If it is working now with no error, then you may simply have had a 'glitch' or temporary problem with control circutiry in the printer. Such glitches may occur owing to power variations on the power line (esp. if industrial machinery or air conditioning/heating/high-power-demand machinery is nearby), or it can happen owing to electrostatic discharge getting into the device, owing to its being touched by a person who has accumulated static charge on their hands.

To prevent the first, make sure your printer is powered through a surge protector. A surge protector for every electonic device of any value is an investment that always pays off in the long run.

To prevent the second, don't wear wool clothing, and 'touch metal' on staticky days, before touching printer or computer or keyboard or mouse - touching metal absorbs any static charge, even if you cannot feel it being dissipatd... and even charges too small to feel can damage or disorder electronic devices.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It does come on but nothing happens but the message I gave you comes up.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

The error message is persistent, then, and keeps the printer from doing anything else.

That is, I am sorry to say, not a very favorable sign.

How old is your printer?

Try unplugging it for several hours or overnight. Sometimes this may relieve the problem.

While it is unplugged, also look inside the printer for foreign objects, loose parts, or anything unusual. (Let me know what you find if you see anything. As for extraneous objects, remove them, of course.)

A general error message like that, may well mean the printer is simply 'broken', but the above may be tried, before deciding whether the printer is worth repair costs and time.

(Be it noted, that HP's return/recycling/re-use/buyback options, for disposing of printers, are very favorable and advantageous. Let me know if you need to hear more about them and how to make use of them.)