Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of IT and customer support experience
15852642

I have epson error code 50H on epson r290 printer. The error

Customer Question

I have epson error code 50H on epson r290 printer. The error code is "cannot seek cr home position" Error code appears during self check after I turn the printer on. Is this something you can resolve for me?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

This message indicates a carriage fault. That can be caused by anything from debris/obstruction (paper jam, bent/damaged rails, out of place purge assembly/wiper, or dirty/dislocated encoder strip) to an actual hardware defect (bad sensor or control board, faulty carriage drive motor/gear/belt, bad printhead/carriage pcb).

What we can try here are some cleaning and reset steps.
First, open up the printer, and check for any internal debris such as scraps of paper, paperclip or staple, etc. Check if you’re able to move the carriage manually, or if it moves on its own when lifting the lid. If it does move, you can proceed with cleaning by blowing out the inside compartment with compressed air and checking carefully on both sides for any obstructions. Then wipe down the encoder strip, which is a clear plastic strip running the width of the printer, that sits just slightly above and behind the carriage.

Then reset the machine:
unplug power at the wall outlet
wait 5 minutes
press and hold the power/on button for 60+ seconds
keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release

Let me know the results, and I’ll advise further if needed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Nathan,
I appreciate your help.This message indicates a carriage fault. That can be caused by anything from debris/obstruction (paper jam, bent/damaged rails,
( I don't think it is these as I cleaned the machine very well)a out of place purge assembly/wiper
( I just replaced capping station but problem was occuring before this so I don't think is the purge assembly or wiper),or dirty/dislocated encoder strip
( I cleaned with alcohol)to an actual hardware defect (bad sensor or control board, faulty carriage drive motor/gear/belt, bad printhead/carriage pcb). (Not sure about these)What we can try here are some cleaning and reset steps.
First, open up the printer, and check for any internal debris such as scraps of paper, paperclip or staple, etc.
(Very clean inside printer)Check if you’re able to move the carriage manually,(Yes I can move the carriage manually. I dosen't seem to be restricted in any way)or if it moves on its own when lifting the lid.(My printer is actually a uv flatbed inkjet printer from China that uses modified epson r290. Printer carriage does not move normally when lid is opened.If it does move, you can proceed with cleaning by blowing out the inside compartment with compressed air and checking carefully on both sides for any obstructions. Then wipe down the encoder strip, which is a clear plastic strip running the width of the printer, that sits just slightly above and behind the carriage.(I did this as you suggested)Then reset the machine:
unplug power at the wall outlet
wait 5 minutes
(I followed this and printer repeated the same error)
(About 10 seconds into self check when printer head is in home position the error occurs.)I would be happy to send you any photos or video that you think may help me resolve this issue. My printer has been down now for 3 weeks and i need to resolve somehow... Thanks again for your help
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OUliEAf7hY
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Can you please tell me more about the specific printer model you have?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
http://worldbestrading.com/product-194.htmlBy the way, never buy from this company, they completely disappear after the sale.
I really hope you can help me solve this problem. It's integral to my new startup business
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The driver for the printer if it helps, Epson L800
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry but this is beyond the scope of the original question, and I am not familiar enough with the equipment you have to be comfortable advising you.
I'll opt out, and give another expert an opportunity to assist you from here.

Best of luck to you.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.

You said the machine was an Epson r290 but the link you sent is not an Epson r290 at all even if it does use an L800 driver.

The one you sent a link to is a UV flatbed printer and this error is not something you can fix yourself on one of those and you will need a technician.

On an Epson the error refers to the print head being blocked, or needing to be replaced.

However since you are possibly using an Epson driver with a UV printer it could be a substitute for a lens error or something similar.

In order to find out what is causing it a technician would have to look at it.

If you have any questions at all reply and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your printer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for your answer. the printer head is epson r290 and the driver is epson l800 so I assume all the error codes relate to epson r290 printer. Which is why I stated this in the beginning. I just need a couse of action. Do you think replacing the printer head will resolve this problem? Is this the next step you would take? Unfortunately where I live there are no technicians available to repair so I must do it myself. I am pretty sure the error code is correct as the error occurs when the printer head is in the home position. So with the assumption that the error is correct, other than throw the printer out the window or call a technician, what course of action should I take? Thanks, Cary
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.

The error refers to the print head being blocked meaning if it is not the error is caused by the carriage not the print head itself. If the print head itself is damaged it could cause the carriage to not move properly so normally you would need to try a new print head. Then if the same thing happens the carriage assembly would have to be replaced. This is assuming the error is correct. If you have any questions at all reply and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your printer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How about the encoder strip? could this be the problem and the printer head is not able to read the home position?Also the printer head moves freely and I'm certain it was not physically damaged.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.

The encoder strip is actually part of the carriage assembly, so yes but to replace it you need to replace the entire assembly. Cleaning it if it is dirty could help.