Printers

Printer Repair Questions? Ask IT Technicians for Answers ASAP

Printers

Epson 3880 - vertical scratches at edge of 17 x 22 paper

Customer Question
print. Does not scratch...
Epson 3880 - vertical scratches at edge of 17 x 22 paper print. Does not scratch on smaller prints. Can this happen by having cleaned it the wrong way?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Printers
Or any other reason for it?
9/22/2015
Technician: Michael Hannigan, Technician replied 2 years ago
Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I can help you with your printer concern.

- Would you please use the Epson Software bundled with your printer and try the Deep Cleaning Procedure Twice.

Please let me know what the results are.

thank you.

I have run the Power Clean Cycle again now after doing it about 4 other times to no avail. I have also tried now to print using Widest Platen Gap rather than standard because my paper is Hahnemuhle Photo Rag and I thought since it was thicker I would try that. But, that did not help. I have used this printer and all these Hahnemuhle art papers for years and this is the first time I have had a scratch line near the edge of the paper. It is near the lower left edge of the print so that would mean it's happening as it's coming out of the printer, I believe. As I said this is happening when I use the 17 x 22 paper.

Would it be possible to take a picture of the defect and attach it here using the paperclip icon in the toolbar? That may help me to identify what is causing it.

What I'd like to see is if it is the same as what I have seen on some 3880 printers, which occurs with some paper types because it is not vacuum fed, and the moisture on those papers cause it to buckle slightly, causing it to touch part of the printer coming out. You can find out if this is the case by haveing the receiving tray of the printer in its "down" position, so as to allow the paper to bend downward as it emerges from the platen. This creates greater separation from the extrusions that produce scratches. Also, as the paper begins to emerge, reach in with cotton gloved hands to press it downward lightly for the same reason. Once the paper has come far enough out to fall of its own weight, you can release it. If this eliminates the problem, then it confirms why it is happening. I haven't seen it not happen with a particular paper, and then suddenly start happening, though. It usually happens with certain types of paper, but not others. In fact, one customer had his printer replaced with a brand new one and it didn't change the situation at all.

I read that info on a site yesterday. I haven't tried the pressing down part yet, though. I think he was still under warranty.

Yes, the problem seems to be common with a handful of paper types.

I was hoping to communicate with a technician about this. I have done similar internet researching.

That's what I am. As I've said, I have seen this happen with this printer on several occasions. It is related to the media deforming slightly when it becomes wet from the ink. It isn't something that can be adjusted on the printer - the output is being physically scratched by the printer on it's way out. I can't take credit for the way Epson designed these printers, I can only tell you what, in my experience, can be done to fix it. The only solution of which I am aware is to change the media.

This is assuming that you have already adjusted, in the paper settings, the paper thickness and the platen gap. You can also try increasing the dry time adjustment per printhead pass. This will slow down the printing and may allow the ink to dry before it can be scratched by the platen. Assuming you have made these adjustments, I would try different media.

To your question about whether it can happen with cleaning it the wrong way, that would be no... I can't logically make any connection between cleaning the print head and vertical scratches. Horizontal scratches would be a different situation, but not vertical scratches. Those are occurring independently of the print head.

Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Technician