Printers

Printer Repair Questions? Ask IT Technicians for Answers ASAP

Printers

I have a canon printer MG5420. When i went to print a copy

Customer Question
from my computer the printer...
I have a canon printer MG5420. When i went to print a copy from my computer the printer indicated Support Code 1403. The type of print head is incorrect. Install the correct print head. I've never seen this message before. The printer did previously indicate that it was low on ink. Couls this have caused the message.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Printers
9/16/2015
Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 2 years ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Unfortunately this error indicates a hardware problem,

specifically, it is the result of a bad printhead (or the logic board that controls it).

The head is a "wear item" that fails with age/use. As this is a 2013 model printer, it is nearing the end of its year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising.

Getting low on ink and continuing to print can lead to the printhead nozzles clogging and subsequently overheating, causing damage.

There is one step you can take here, to clean and reset the system, but it is very unlikely to help. 99.9% of the time, this does come down to a hardware fault.

While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $85; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

Depending how you'd like to proceed, I can advise on the cleaning/reset steps if you wish to try, help with finding parts, finding a local repair shop, or recommending replacement options for you. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

No thanks. It's off to best buy for a new printer.

You're welcome.

If looking for a replacement, I’d recommend any of the Epson workforce series printers. They tend to be very reliable, are easy to set up and use, have good print quality, and reasonably priced ink. Example: http://amzn.to/1F4fCYC

I prefer buying online, you'll get a better price than at best buy and usually no tax as well as free shipping.

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please do remember to rate my service prior to logging off, hopefully I have earned an “excellent”. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1Md4aNC

Thank you, ***** ***** a good day,

Nathan, Engineer