Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Technician
Experience:  25+ Years Experience Computers, Electronics, and Printers - HP, Canon, Xerox, Ricoh, Lexmark, Oki, Ghestner, Konica Minolta, Kyocera, Sharp
23511658

I have a Brother printer and an HP printer. Both are

Customer Question

I have a Brother printer and an HP printer. Both are wireless and worked well with my MacBook Pro until a week ago. I returned from a trip to U.S. where I connected to Wifi using xfinity Wifi. Since returning I cannot connect by wifi to either printer. They work using USB line. Both printers are connected to my wifi. The Mac is connected to my wifi. I spent 3 hrs on phone with Apple support and tried everything. They suggested I try the printer company to see what the connection issue is. Tried all kinds of hard shutdowns and nothing worked. Can you help me?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 2 years ago.

hello. My name is***** can help you with your question.

Did you bring the printers with you and have them connected to a different Wi-Fi network? Or was it just the MacBook Pro that you had connected to a different Wi-Fi network? The problem is almost certainly with the IP addresses on either the printers or on the MacBook Pro. Since the IP addresses are given out by the router when you start up the network, it is possible that while the printers were off, there DHCP addresses expired and then they received different IP addresses from the DHCP server. So you have to consider the possibility that the IP address is on these printers are different. To get past this you may simply have to reinstall them.

You did mention XFINITY Wi-Fi but I don't believe you mentioned what other type of network they were connected to. Was XFINITY Wi-Fi what you had on your trip or is that what you had when you returned home? Are the IP addresses of the printers and of the MacBook Pro both on the local network now?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi. I did not have the printers with me when I was in the U.S. Only the MacBook Pro was connected to the xfinity.
I also thought that it was a problem with the IP. I did try to reinstall but it failed. Tried this with the Apple support person. Not sure why this happened.
We deleted the printers from the queue, now I am not sure how to reload the printers onto the Mac.

If you have the IP for each of the printers, you can add it as an IP printer directly....

1. Select System Preferences from the Apple menu.
  2. Double-click on Print & Scan (Print & Fax).
  3. In the Print & Scan (Print & Fax) window, click on the plus sign button.
  4. Click on the IP tab in the Print Browser window. Set Protocol to HP Jetdirect - Socket. ...
  5. Click Add.