Printers

Printer Repair Questions? Ask IT Technicians for Answers ASAP

Printers

I ;am trying to use a Canon MG5420 with a Ubuntu system

Customer Question
through a USB port....
I ;am trying to use a Canon MG5420 with a Ubuntu system through a USB port. It seems to set up correctly and will copy materials but when I send a print, I get a display on the printer saying that it is
processing, then it just reverts to standby.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Printers
9/9/2015
Technician: Russell H., Printer and Office Tech replied 2 years ago
Russell H., Printer and Office Tech

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

That sounds to me like a driver mismatch, or too-distant sort-of-match, to the printer model in question.

What driver are you using with the Ubuntu system, and what version of Ubuntu is on the system?

Ubuntu version is 14.04, trusty. I think the driver is: MG5400-series-CUPS+Gutenprint v5.2.10-pre2 (en).
When I try to do a test print, I get a screen (on the printer) that says:
Processing...
Please wait momentarily.for about 30 seconds then it reverts to a waiting HOME screen.

Driver sounds close-enough at least, so if the printer simply does not respond and print jobs seemingly go nowhere, I suggest that you look into *where* the print driver is directing prints to. USB01 ? a local network address ? That might need changing.

I have no idea how to look into "where" the print driver is directing prints.

OK. 1: where is the printer? in terms of the port that it is on, or if on a network, in terms of the network address or reference within the local network ?

2: when you installed and configured the printer's driver, where did you indicate the printer was located?

At times, I've had the printer on a USB port and wireless, but I've moved it back to the USB port since I hope
that is more straightforward. Locations is "Dingo" which is the name of the computer, and the connection is
usb://Canon/MG5400%20series?serial=30CFB6&interface=1
For completeness, the printer configuration says the driver is:
Current - Canon MG5400 series - CUPS+Gutenprint v5.2.10-pre2

If you moved the printer back to USB, you need to remove the driver, restart the computer, and reinstall the driver - for USB. Having the printer fail to print after such a move is a familiar symptom.

I can delete the printer but I don't know of a way to actually delete the driver in Ubuntu.

Deleting the printer probably will serve.

Completed. Rebooted twice after deleting printer, then adding the new USB printer. No change. If I watch
the queue as I ask for a test page print-out, it never appears in the queue but does say "rendering complete"
when it gives up.

Go to

System Settings

and see if the printer is listed in Printers - ?

In a Terminal window do this command:

ls /dev/usb

is there such a folder? does it have an

lp

in it?

Try different USB ports, and try a different USB cable also.

USB ports often differ a lot on one computer - it might be quickest to try the USB ports that are farthest, physically, from the one that fails to print to the printer.

Also, in Terminal window, do the command

sudo hp-setup

and see, having gone through it, see if the printer works.

Let me know, please. Thanks.

Russell H., Printer and Office Tech