Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of IT and customer support experience
15852642

My mfc 7840W is jamming repeatedly (but not always the same

Customer Question

My mfc 7840W is jamming repeatedly (but not always the same time) in the front cover and the back door. I'm able to remove the drum unit and release the paper that is stuck, however the fact that it keeps happening over and over again is irritating
Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is***** do not rate until we are finished. I look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem. I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this. There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out for sure. How old is the printer? Is it stuck in that same spot every time? When it is stuck does it feel warm?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it was bought in 2008, so its quite old. yes it is always stuck in the same spot. It is at the drum unit, so I will pull that out and when I do a piece of paper will come out. And then the back printer door will also have another stuck piece of paper. It is warm when it is stuck. Like I said it doesn't happen all of the time, I would say at 2-3 times a day, although I print from at least 10-15times. I changed the drum unit. before doing that it was occurring very frequently at least 10 times a day, that seemed to help a little bit to reduce the amount of times per day that it is happening
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.

Did you clean the inside of the machine before changing it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how do I do that?
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.

Remove the toner and drum then let the machine cool down. Using a lint free cloth remove all toner dust inside the machine. There should be a green tab on the drum move that back and forth a few times before putting it back to clean the corona wire.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok i've done that. i tried a test copy, and of course it worked fine. will let you know if it continues to jam today
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.

Ok take all the time you need. Hopefully that is all it was.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yup its still doing it :(
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.

Ok that normally means the fuser is causing it, when was the last time it was replaced?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
probably never from what I know of the machine. Is that something I can replace knowing that I have very limited knowledge of printers. do i need to hire a technician to change?
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.

If you have never done it before you would want a technician to do it. They normally last around 3-5 years and then need to be replaced. They heat the toner so that the drum can allow the toner to melt onto the page as the machine prints. If the fuser stops heating properly it can cause the print to jam in either the back of the machine or at the drum unit. I would call around for a price first as this can sometimes be expensive.