Printers

Printer Repair Questions? Ask IT Technicians for Answers ASAP

Printers

I am getting horizontal lines on printing color photos. I

Customer Question
I am getting horizontal lines...
I am getting horizontal lines on printing color photos. I have put in new cartridges, cleaned it.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Printers
9/1/2015
Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 2 years ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

If you make a color copy, direct from the glass, how does that come out?
Are you using genuine canon ink, or generic/refilled cartridges?

I am using generic cartridges. When I print directly from the glass, I have the same lines.

The use of generic cartridges, which have ink pigments that are not as fine as the genuine ones, can easily cause the nozzles to clog and ultimately cause permanent hardware damage. These symptoms are consistent with either a clogged/contaminated print head, or a faulty print head, either of which were most likely prompted by the refilled cartridges.

The initial cleaning steps were fine, but need to be repeated. Please run through the head clean again, up to a total of 5 times. If it still doesn’t print properly, you’ll need to do a manual cleaning next.

I have to caution you up front though that the manual cleaning process is messy and time consuming. It also has a low chance of success, if you see no improvement at all from the automated cleaning. It is most likely a hardware failure (bad head) which the cleaning can’t fix, as printheads are a wear item and do fail with time/use.

Realistically, it’s probably time for a new printer. As this is a 2007 model printer, it is well past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising. While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $125; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

That said, it doesn’t hurt to try, if you wish. Let me know how the built in cleaning function works, and I’ll guide you through the manual steps next, or I can recommend replacement options if you prefer.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Nathan, Engineer