Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

I have Canon MX712 printer/fax...won't print - error "B200"

Customer Question

I have Canon MX712 printer/fax...won't print - error "B200" [on top of screen - centered]; below message reads "Printer error has occurred. Unplug....contact service center." Please advise.
Paul
Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem. I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this. There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out for sure. Have you tried cleaning it yet?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No - it was working fine, I tried to print from an on-line site and got the error message. I need to know if "B200" means I should go buy a new computer??
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
No the B200 error is from the printer not the computer, it just gets displayed on the computer.
Let's try doing a manual cleaning of the machine and see if that helps at all.
If you have any trouble or get stuck at any point please let me know so I can help you.
Remove all the ink cartridges from the machine.
Then clean the contacts on the cartridges as well as inside the machine itself.
Do this with a small amount of warm water on a cotton swab until no ink comes off on the swab.
If any of the other cartridges are low, empty, leaking or bulging replace them.
Now once you have done all of that turn off the machine and unplug it for 70 seconds
Plug it back it and wait for the insert cartridges message
Insert the cartridges and check to see if the problem is still there.
If this did not work please come back and let me know by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work please don’t forget to leave a positive rating it is greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I meant Printer not computer....I checked ink C's they are fine (clean)
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
Even if they look ok please do what I mentioned, it is more for the printer than the ink cartridges.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am not going to wash the printer...what does B200 mean?
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
I never told you to "wash" the printer.....
B200 is a general error meaning there is a problem with one of two parts. One of which can just need to be cleaned and cause the error. Since however you refuse to try what I sent I will be opting out and opening this to all experts. If anyone else wants to help they will reply the same way I did, they will also see you refused to try that. Please do not rate or you may not get another reply at all.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Don't refer this to anyone...we are done.
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Unfortunately this B200 error indicates a hardware problem,

specifically, it is the result of a bad printhead (or the logic board that controls it). It means that the printhead nozzles have overheated.

In short, you don't need a new computer, but you do need a new printer.

The head is a "wear item" that fails with age/use. As this is a 2012 model printer, it is at/past its maximum 3 year service life (as designed and built by canon), so this type of failure is not surprising.

There is one step you can take here, to clean and reset the system, but it is very unlikely to help. 99.9% of the time, this does come down to a hardware fault.

While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $85; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

Depending how you'd like to proceed, I can advise on the cleaning/reset steps if you wish to try, help with finding parts, finding a local repair shop, or recommending replacement options for you. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,