Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

I have a carriage jam on hpj6480 Can't slide carriage left

Customer Question

I have a carriage jam on hpj6480
Can't slide carriage left manually
Any ideas? Thanks
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Are you getting a carriage jam message, or are you just seeing that it won't move?
Where exactly is it stuck at? Is it parked all the way to the right?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
carriage jam message
Parked all the way 2 right
FYI this printer has been inactive for around 5 years but is in mint condition
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for confirming.

What happens in this case is that the printhead gets hung up on the absorber system and can't move. Regardless of use/condition, the printer is well past its 3 year service life, and there are many components that will wear out and fail just from age.

You can try sliding something like a thin piece of metal or thick card stuck under the head so it can move up and slide over the absorber. Typically though this is only temporary and as soon as it goes to park it gets hung up again. This usually relates to a failed cam motor.